"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi, 15th Century Swordsmanship of Master Fillipo Vadi  (Read 5022 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I just picked this up via sale on the Armour Archive website; this was translated by Luca Porzio and Gregory Mele.  Has anyone else had a crack at it yet?  I got it because in viewing the classifieds I realized that I did not own any books on swordsmanship.  Knighthood, battle tactics, medieval fiction, arms and armor, but nothing about actual usage.

http://www.amazon.com/Arte-Gladiatoria-Dimicandi-Century-Swordsmanship/dp/1891448161
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

I don't remember if I picked that one up or not. I haven't looked that heavily at the Italian version of the sword arts, though really they're not that different than the German.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I have it, but I've been unsuccessful in actually reading it yet. I will try to take a peek tonight or tomorrow and give a brief overview of it.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Well, I have it sitting next to my favorite reading chair...but I've not been doing much reading in it of late.  Red Dead Redemption has been taking up much of my free time these past few days.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
dont got it hmmmmm

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Sorry for the late reply. Been too busy to go online much as of late.

This is a translation of Vadi's 15th century Italian treatise. It's in the same tradition of Fiore di Liberi, though it isn't 100% exactly the same art (in the way that you can have different branches of Tae Kwon Do that are mostly the same, but with some variations in the names of stances and techniques, etc). It's an excellent first hand resource for anyone studying that tradition, and it's an excellent reproduction of a medieval manuscript. It is not, however, a "how to" book, but rather a treatise to showcase the art (sort of like a resume for Vadi to present to a potential patron).
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Still worth a read, no?  I picked it up because I've never actually read any books on historical (or modern for that matter) swordsmanship.