Main > The Armoury

Maille rings

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
So my rings did come today, only problem is the riveting tool was on back order as well which irritates me to an extreme. Also there weren't nearly enough rings in the bag as I had hoped as well as them not matching my Icefalcon hauberk, they're NOT blackened and they are .5 MM bigger than the ones from Icefalcon, so much for making maille gloves now I guess I'm gonna have to make mittens instead. I AM impressed by how neatly punched the holes are, I just don't want to rivet each individual ring so anyone know where I can get solid rings?

Sir Wolf:
???
i don't get it. are your rivets wedge and your shirt is pin rivet?

Sir Ulrich:
Nope they're both ALL dome riveted, I just don't feel like riveting extra rings when I could save some effort by making some of the rings solid. They also lack the blackened texture the Icefalcon stuff has so I gotta keep them oiled. I only planned to make maille gloves with them anyway but I think they're too big to do that with now so I gotta make mittens instead.

Heres a pic of how they look:

Sir James A:
A difference of .5mm would be hard to see, even up close, unless someone is really into armor and would know what to look for. I wouldn't worry about that too much, but I know exactly how you feel with matching up everything.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-09-01, 18:22:27 ---A difference of .5mm would be hard to see, even up close, unless someone is really into armor and would know what to look for. I wouldn't worry about that too much, but I know exactly how you feel with matching up everything.

--- End quote ---
Add to this the fact that ring variation exists in historical pieces and I don't think you have much to worry about.  :)  Even a medieval master would've had difficulty keeping mail rings within 0.5 mm tolerances when everything was done by hand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version