Main > The Armoury

Maille rings

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Most of the rings that are missing a rivet don't even need anything done due to the ears overlapping they're not coming out anytime soon unless I force them out, I just get irritated because I want EVERY ring riveted. I think I don't even need to replace the ring, just put a rivet in and peen it over and I should be fine. I am gonna buy more of these rings and buy a bluing solution to blacken them then I'm gonna make mittens or 3 finger gloves with them. I am really impatient about the riveting tool arriving though.

Sir James A:
Hang in there on the riviting tool. I bought one from Historic Enterprises for dome-head rivited mail, and it just doesn't work with the IceFalcon mail - different size dome, or something. I bought the IceFalcon pliers, and they work fantastic. I suspect the HE dome heads are slightly larger than the IceFalcon ones, which I would have never guessed is the case before. If you have GDFB rings, get the GDFB pliers; if you have IceFalcon rings, get the IceFalcon pliers; etc.

Sir Ulrich:
Thats what worries me the most, guess I'm gonna have to buy Icefalcon stuff again to fix it up a bit. I haven't lost ANY rings though, just a few rivets thanks to riveted rings being MUCH better constructed than butted rings.

Sir William:
Hey, not to derail the thread, but any of you know of a good rivet tool?  I'm in need of one to do some riveting on belts, harnesses and such.  Also, is there a separate tool for removing them?  Thanks, all.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-09-06, 15:08:28 ---Hey, not to derail the thread, but any of you know of a good rivet tool?  I'm in need of one to do some riveting on belts, harnesses and such.  Also, is there a separate tool for removing them?  Thanks, all.

--- End quote ---

A soft piece of metal (for curved head rivits) and a ball-pien hammer. A drill and/or grinder to remove them with (which should hopefully never happen). If you're going to do "pop" rivits, there's a tool for that, but I won't even mention it because pop rivits make medievalists cry. ;)

It's been a while since I last set rivits, but I still have the tools for it if you want to give it a shot here before buying anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version