Main > The Armoury

Drool Worthy Swords

<< < (2/8) > >>

Sir William:
And ruin all that beauty?  I think NOT.  Besides, who is to say that it isn't historical?  There is much we do not know about what occurred back then.

SirNathanQ:
We wouldn't cover it up, simply transport the nice design onto leather.

And I have yet to see any sword (Much less one of good quality) not still posses or show evidence of a leather Handle.
The reason you see some wood today is that the leather (very organic) is the first to break down. You still see some evidence in the wood though.

Sir William:
Yes, but that is not to say that it did not occur.  No real way to know that...think about it; of all the swords that must've been produced over the centuries, only a very small handful have ever been recovered, so far as we know.

SirNathanQ:
While we do only have a small sampling, all the evidence we have suggests that open wood handles would not be seen on a sword.
And while it may have happened, I don't think it would be very plausible. From a practicality standpoint, wood would get trashed by the elements without a leather covering, and it has a habit of splintering on impact.
Anyway, it is a very pretty sword. Although for above reasons, while it may be functional, I wouldn't take it on campaign! (Personally, I think it's too pretty to do so  ;))

Sir William:
We can agree on that point...too pretty for campaign.  That is definitely a dress and/or court sword.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version