Main > The Armoury

Drool Worthy Swords

<< < (3/8) > >>

Sir Edward:
I believe there are historical examples that were bare wood, but they're in the minority.

If I recall correctly, Albion debated leaving a bare wood grip on the Dane, because several of the surviving pieces of that type were constructed that way, but ultimately chose to use a leather wrap since that was also correct for the style, and is simply more durable in the long-run.

It's amazing what the elements and skin oils can do to wood over time.

Sir William:
I do like their Danish longsword I do...you know whoe else makes a good looking one?  I say looking, as I haven't handled it yet, nor do I know anyone who has.  It is DSA's XVIIIe; their version is quite comely.  And only a fraction of the cost of the Albion.

Granted, the Albion will probably be more beautiful, but how much better would it be?  Think we had this discussion before...

SirNathanQ:
IMO, I think Albion will have to watch their backs. while their product is awesome, if their prices go up, their primary market might decide to spent a tiny but more and go full custom. Some of their stuff is approachign that threshold.
And all the while the more "Lowly" makers product is dramatically increasing in quality. Just look at Valiant Armoury offerings from merely a few years ago. Night and day.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ser William on 2011-08-10, 17:49:03 ---Granted, the Albion will probably be more beautiful, but how much better would it be?  Think we had this discussion before...

--- End quote ---

That's the thing. Part of the reason the Albions cost so much, is because of the attention to detail they have for the blade geometry. They go to museums and measure the blades all up and down with calipers, to get the thicknesses all over the place, not just to reproduce length and profile taper, but also distal taper, cross section, and so on at various points along the length of the blade. So it doesn't just look authentic, it also cuts authentically.

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-08-10, 17:59:15 ---IMO, I think Albion will have to watch their backs. while their product is awesome, if their prices go up, their primary market might decide to spent a tiny but more and go full custom. Some of their stuff is approachign that threshold.
And all the while the more "Lowly" makers product is dramatically increasing in quality. Just look at Valiant Armoury offerings from merely a few years ago. Night and day.

--- End quote ---

This is definitely true. The cheaper offerings continue to improve, and Albion is pricing themselves into the custom market, while still being a production line with a fixed catalog and no customization (except grip color). A lot of people are starting to go full custom, or even into antiques as a result.

I'd hate to see them paint themselves into a corner.

Sir William:
Agreed...and I was sorta in on that when VA turned itself around.  I was a member of SBG at the time and Sonny was also, and he'd told us all what he planned on doing years before it occurred.  I give him that, he has vision and knew where he wanted to take the company.  As you say, night and day between the wares they used to offer compared to today.

Agreed also on Albion's pricing...their museum line swords are at or in some cases higher than full-on customs.  One of my favorite bladesmiths is John Lundemo of Odinblades (http://www.odinblades.com)...my first full-on custom will come from him, or Brendan Olszowy of FableBlades (http://www.fableblades.com).  Leaning more towards John because he was the first custom bladesmith I'd ever really interacted with, and his work is gorgeous.  Brenno's work is more fantasy-related so I'll probably get my custom Boromir sword from him some day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version