Main > The Armoury

Cheater chausses

<< < (3/4) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Oh yeah. Definatly. I thought you were referring to the actual rings themselves, and not the colour.

Sir Ulrich:
I actually believe most maille used different sized rings for different parts of the body. Like the more vital parts used thicker rings and the smaller parts like the arms used smaller rings. I saw that on one maille standard on James Barker's site.

SirNathanQ:
I would like to see historical examples of that.
I have seen pieces that use a different size and thickness to achieve a form or a stiffness, but not for protection. I also recall that this practice is past the age of maille in time period.
Most of the accounts I have read from the age of maille (Usama Ibn Watshisface's book of contemplations and John of Joinville & Geoffry de Impossibletospell's Chronicles of the crusades) do state that for added protection knights would sometimes wear "Double-Mail" or "Jousting Hauberks"
Honestly we have no Idea what this is actually referring to.........

Sir Ulrich:
Personally I think double maille was probably double ringed maille(6 in one prehaps?) and jousting hauberks were thicker gauge wired maille to protect against blunt impact better than regular maille, they were just a bit heavy and took a while to get used to in combat, thus werent used for warfare nearly as much.

As you can see on this hauberk the rings around the collar are smaller than the ones protecting the body. I would assume a lot of maille actually had that, we just don't see it in period art because it's impossible to depict that way. It's also possible that there were some cheaper varieties of maille that used larger rings that would protect a bit against slashes but not stabs. Kinda like ring maille but weaved in a hauberk.

Sir James A:
That's pretty cool, I haven't seen period mail with different sized rings before. I'd wager "jousting hauberks" or "double mail" would be a simple 8-in-2 pattern. It's exactly like the 4-in-1 pattern we're used to, but with doubled-up rings. And 4 out of every 5 rings could be cut as a "pair" and left as 2 joined together, since you only need to separate 1 out of every 5 rings to link the mail. I've also heard of the 8-in-2 as "king's mail".

I've seen a few examples of 8-in-2 style on japanese armor, but that's mostly apples to oranges. I haven't seen it on anything european. Of course, I hadn't even seen the hauberk above, so keep that in mind. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version