Main > The Armoury

Cheater chausses

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir James A:
IceFalcon's rivit tool is something like $30, and it's designed specifically for his rivited mail. I have the IceFalcon tool, and the Historic Enterprises one - the HE one kinda mangled the IF rivits and didn't work at all (I have the 9mm stainless rivited).

HE pliers - http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/historicenterprises.jpg
IF pliers - http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/IceFalcon%209mm%20SS%20rivited%20rings/P1010005.jpg
** NOTE: I added the black rubber "grip" to these.

The only thing that might be plausible for a base to "cheater chausses" would maybe be the arm voiders, but at $350 for those and $495 for the full chausses, you're probably better off to buy the full chausses and cut away any part you don't want (to reuse elsewhere, of course ;)).

I *think* 5K rings might cover some cheater chausses for people with a smaller frame, depending how "cheater" we're talking - rear and sides of the upper leg only? Entire sides and rears, ankle to hip? I have 10K rings to get mine done, but I feel like household robots that could make them for me will become available before I get them done myself. :o

SirNathanQ:
well the Cheater chausses are lower leg only, that go underneath padded ciusses. so knee down, and probably including sabatons (integrated)

Sir Ulrich:
I bought the GDFB rings and rivets (mostly to make sabatons and mittens), personally I think most historical maille was motley looking and didn't have all the same rings and rivets. Still waiting for them to come though, I'll post pics when they do come.

SirNathanQ:
Historically, it all depends on time and persona station.
Military Gear didn't fall off the face of the earth after it became "unfashionable"
But knights cared about how they looked. during the period in which maille was the primary armour, I think you would find maille to be relatively uniform among a single piece. But as it gets older, then you might find some variation from repair and such.

During the 14th century, however, a popular style of maille was wedge riveted/solid ring inter meshing.

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah, I bought dome riveted rings so they should match with the others in the Icefalcon maille (even though I plan to use them for a separate piece), I may have to blacken them though. But for someone like me who's reenacting a typical foot soldier or man at arms I think fashion would matter less.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version