Main > The Armoury

Name of your Sword

<< < (8/31) > >>

SirNathanQ:
I think I remember you mentioning him at VARF. Good to see more dedicated cutlers out there. How much did the rig cost you?

Sir William:
$200...but only because I provided the wood-cored scabbard itself...he fashioned the new scabbard leather and belts, then dyed them per my specs.  The only thing he got wrong was which side the scabbard is to hang from...he built it for a righty and I'm a natural lefty.

Still, I like it as it was my first commissioned piece - albeit my second commission came in before that one; that was a miscommunication issue that we worked out to both of our advantages.  I think his complete scabbard and belt pricing starts around $350-400 depending on how detailed it has to be.  Still a good deal cheaper than anywhere else I could find; DBK normally charges 2.5 times that to start.

For instance, this rig cost me just over $1000 all said and done.  Not a great picture and this was the one I'd put in the trunk by the time I saw you at VARF...I was wearing the one Slayer'd made for me when we finally met up.

Now, to be fair, the DBK scabbard displays a level of fit and finish that Slayer has yet to achieve...but he's close and when you figure in that he's only 40% of the cost of a DBK is when you have to start asking the pertinent questions.

For myself, I wouldn't have a DBK scabbard built for a sword that costs less than half of the cost of the scabbard but to each their own.

I actually like what I've seen with regard to the scabbard and suspension rigs available from DSA; I think it good that they're attempting to do that in-house as opposed to collectors having to pursue other avenues...you could get an Albion scabbard with your Albion sword order but expect it to be about the same as a DBK and from what I have heard, it is no better, and there are less options available to you.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-07-11, 20:04:42 ---Hmmm...Do you mean the name of your sword or the naming of swords in general?
Because Scandinavian cultures regularly named their blades, which I wouldn't see as a stretch for the Germanic-influenced areas of Europe during later eras.

--- End quote ---

As StormDelver said in the thread Sir Brian quoted from:

--- Quote from: Stormdelver on 2011-06-30, 17:37:06 ---...
One thing I believe is that a true sword has a soul, and deserves a name.

--- End quote ---

Not so much the naming, but the idea of a sword having a soul, and in that the samurai believe that their sword is a part of their soul, and has a special bond with them. The sword being more than a "simple" weapon or tool, and more than the sum of it's parts. Most of the MOPs would probably say "it's a cool weapon" or "it's a great tool for killing things", but wouldn't equate any "spiritual" type of bond with one.

I'm liking this thread. :D

Sir William:
Need a name for my Albion...will probably go with something Latin as it is a Crusade-era sword.  I think I have an idea...

Sir Wolf:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-07-12, 20:23:41 ---Need a name for my Albion...will probably go with something Latin as it is a Crusade-era sword.  I think I have an idea...

--- End quote ---

how about " a gift for wolf" as it's name (hehehehe)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version