Main > The Armoury

jolly knight

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir Brian:
I recently had to stitch close a nice 3" slice on the right shoulder blade section of my WMA gambeson after taking a hit from an aluminum waster that must of had a nasty burr on it. I made sure to use bright red thread so it is prominently shown!  ;D

John:
I've asked Jolly Knight Armoury a few questions about their gambesons

--- Quote ---Hi,

I've been discussing your products with some others on the Modern Chivalry forum at http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0 based on that I have a few questions about your gambesons.

1) What material is your batting made from?
2) How thick is the batting?
3) What material, and thread count, is used for the outer layer?
4) What material, and thread count, is used for the inner layer?
5) How long does it take you to make one once you've received payment?
6) Do your gambesons have large arm holes, to make it easy for a wearer to lift their arms above their heads?
7) Is the padding thinner on the inside of the elbows, and the armpits, to make it easier to bend those joints?
8) Do you make gambesons with multiple layers of fabric, instead of batting?

I'll post your reply on that forum so that others can see your answers.

Regards,
John
--- End quote ---

John:
Here's the response from Jolly Knight Armoury:-

--- Quote ---Hello John,

I`m  sorry  for a slow reply, I could not answer earlier. I was away, I visited a small festival not
far from my town.

About your questions:
1)  It`s  hard  for  me  to  answer  to  that question, batting is batting. Here is the picture of it
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=204995109519077&set=a.204994462852475.49696.100000257694138&type=1&theater
2) As a rule it has 3-4 layers but I can change it if you need.
3-4) I use linen for the outer and inner layers.
5)  As  a  rule  it takes 2 weeks on making, But if at the moment I have no materials, manufacturing
takes one or two more weeks due to the need to purchase fabric.
6) It is depends of the customers choice but as a rule all my gambeson have gusset.
7) Yes, the batting has different layers depending on their location.
8)  Sure  I  can make it. So far I have not had experience in making such a cloak, but I hope in the
future I will sew something like that.

Thank you for time and patients.

If you have any questions, I'll always be glad to answer them.
--- End quote ---

John:
My gut feeling is that he knows what he is doing. He will make whatever you want, just ask. It would pay to be sure he understands your instructions if you're asking for something unusual. Asking in Ukrainian, or Russian, rather than English will yield best results.

He didn't answer the question about the thread count, I suspect this is a language issue. Very few websites specify the thread count. So it's not a biggie, ymmv. I'm seeking clarification though:-

--- Quote ---Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your reply, I've posted it on the forum, where there are a few people interested in your products. I will place a few orders myself, early next year.

What is the thread count of the linen that you use in your gambesons?
I don't have a facebook account, are you able to send me an image of the batting? The reason I ask about batting is that I know it can be made from wool, or cotton, or polyester, any other fibre, and some materials breath better, and have better insulation properties than others.

Regards,
John
--- End quote ---

Sir James A:
I think I'm going to talk to him about a set of sabatons. It's hard to find someone who will make sabatons, and those brass-trimmed 14th cent ones look ideal to me. It's going to be a few months before I order, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version