Main > The Armoury

jolly knight

<< < (6/7) > >>

John:
I have no hard kit, and I too am looking at getting some sabatons. If I'm happy with the workmanship I'll get a complete late 14th century suit from him. The next thing I'd get would be a bascinet, I quite like it that he's prepared to put on a rivetted mail aventail, and he'll be able to supply mutiple visors. I'd get a lightweight, mesh one for 'unarmoured combat', as well having both a pointed snout and a flatter faced visor. For the gauntlets. I'm considering sending over a plaster of paris cast of my hand using a kit like the ones from http://store2.accu-cast.us/index.php. Seems the best way to get gauntlets that fit like a.... glove. It'll be early next year though, I start paying Brian at DBK for a couple scabbards next week.

Is there anyone here who can comment on the visibility, and breathability of various bascinet visors?

Here's Alexander's, from JKA, response to the last email I sent him.

--- Quote ---Hello John,

I  saw  your  post  on  the forum. But I`m still not get letter from you about thread count. I don`t
think  I  can answer to that question correct because of  language issue, but I will take few photos
with ruler near linen I have so you can see what thread count it is.
--- End quote ---

John:
I've emailed him back:-

--- Quote ---Ahov Alexander,

Your English is better than my Ukrainian :). I think the Ukrainian word I'm looking for is ниток. Is the outer layer of your gambesons made of a dense, strong linen, or do I need to ask specifically for a high grade linen outer. The reason I ask is that my current gambeson rips easily as the outer is made from a coarse weave.

Diakuju,
John
--- End quote ---

John:

--- Quote ---Hello John,
Here is the link for the linen and batting I have
https://picasaweb.google.com/armour.bearer.say/fabrick.
--
Best regards,
Jollyknight.Alexander
--- End quote ---

Alexander has posted 15 photos of his fabric and batting. You can see them by following his link. He's put a bit of time into answering questions, and strikes me as a decent bloke. I'm looking forward to buying from him.

Sir Ulrich:
I am gonna be making 3 purchases from him, the padded chausses, the linen custom gambeson, and the padded coif. Mainly because I just had a duel with my friend in my current gambeson and using my current arming cap and it was HOT as hell... I actually took it off in the middle of fighting because yeah, it's obviously cotton filled with poly and it DOESN'T work for battle... Plus my arming cap is one of those cheap GDFB ones but it was less harsh than the gambeson but I was still sweating a ton from the damn cheap cotton. Gonna make them all at once too because I don't want to pay as much for the shipping >_> which is gonna be high if it's made in the Ukraine.

John:
Welcome to shopping abroad, mate. Albion quoted $180USD to ship a sword to me! Most American companies charge me about $80 to ship weapons or armour. UK companies seem to have better shipping prices for me. In general it is cheaper for me to import, than to go to a local supplier. Local suppliers have a limited range of swords... that aren't made by Albion. I think you're wise in getting a few items at once. The prices won't change much for each subsequent item. Also given that you're in a country with a large population, your shipping should be better than trying to get something to a tiny island in the South Pacific with 64 million sheep, 4 million of whom think they're human.

I too have a GDFB arming cap. I haven't found heat an issue, but I don't wear it because I look like a baby in it, and I have trouble hearing. I usually wear a beanie. I sweat a lot in my GDFB [glossary]gambie[/glossary] (in fact it's outside in the sun at the moment, drying). But that's good, the evaporating water helps to keep me cool. I do find I have to suck back the water, and have a teaspoon or two of salt, after fighting. My biggest issue is preventing mould, especially in winter when it takes a while for thick garments to dry. I've attached some photos of my post training ritual of drying. I'm not allowed to use the clothesline, or dryer. Apparently my kit stinks.

Something against the GDFB gambies is that their smallest size, a Large, would suit someone 180cm tall, and who's eaten a few pies. You might notice in the photo that I've had the sides taken in, and sewn together two panels of quilting at the front (and back). Now it fits nicely, but I need a helper to take it on and off. I've also cut open the armpits, so I can lift my arms above my head. What I do like about the GDFB gambie is that it does a good job of absorbing hits. $240USD for the gambie, plus $80USD for the local saddlery to do the tailoring. That's $320USD. Gotta be cheaper for me to get a tailor made one from the Ukraine!

Let us know how you find ordering through Jolly Knight, and what you think of your kit when it arrives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version