"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188973 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #135 on: 2012-05-05, 18:10:41 »
Hey, this inspires me. We  need to gather together a few conroi of the Knights of the Order of Saint Lazarus, and convince the Saracens that we have a whole army of ZOMBIE KNIGHTS!!!!!!        8) 8) 8)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #136 on: 2012-05-05, 18:56:54 »
The story of El Cid is a story that has inspired me to view Chivalry with a more serious intention.  His story is amazing and best of all his story amazed me when I read the Poem of the Cid, it is an amazing poem.  I am proud to say that he is a chivalric role model of mine.  Huzzah Sir John!  Well Done! 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #137 on: 2012-05-06, 02:04:53 »
That's an awesome story!

Sir John, have you seen the movie "El Cid", from the 60s? If you have, what did you think about it?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #138 on: 2012-05-06, 13:19:14 »
Sir John, have you seen the movie "El Cid", from the 60s? If you have, what did you think about it?

I have the movie!  It is a very long film but it is worth the watch.  In regards to its historical accuracy, many historians say that it is more tied with the legend of the Cid rather than the historical Cid.  To me, it seems to be a combination of both rather than being one sided. Still it is a great film and something to keep the kids away(or should I say distracted) from the video games or the computer, texting or facebooking on the cell phones.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #139 on: 2012-05-06, 14:42:45 »
Sir Wolf,

Thanks...but eventually I will run out of knight sets....my house only has so much room. Did you get me message about the knighting sponsorship? I've already met Sir Matthew and he said once he is knighted he will be one of my sponsors for my knighting ceremony.) It looks like I'm not going to be able to get to the PA Ren Fr this year.

I remain your most obedient servant,

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #140 on: 2012-05-06, 16:24:02 »
Yes I read your message early Sir John.  I would be more than happy to sponsor you but alas I have yet to become a Knight of the Order and it will be some time before that happens.  But when either Sir Matthew of myself are knighted we would be honored to sponsor you.  Your research has helped us understand how Chivalry whether it be in the Renaissance or Middle Ages lived through the lives of many individuals.  Your research would help us in bringing Chivalry back to modern day life.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #141 on: 2012-05-11, 19:13:06 »
That was an excellent choice, Sir John...I'd read a bit about El Cid but nothing in depth; that was very informative, thank you!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #142 on: 2012-05-12, 14:30:14 »
I do have the El Cid movie with Charelton Heston...actually to say I have a HUGE collection of medieval & knight movies is being modest! Hard to find one I don't have. Just got "ARN" haven't had time to watch it.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #143 on: 2012-05-12, 14:35:20 »
i have that one as well and havent been able to watch it either

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #144 on: 2012-05-12, 14:57:17 »
This week's knight of the week: "Sir Robert Kerr" - King David I was born in 1085 and founded the first two burghs in Scotland: Berwick and Roxburgh. He was the eldest son of William Kerr (d. 1606). Robert helped James VI against Bothwell. At the coronation of Anne of Denmark in 1590, he was one of 12 that were chosen to be knighted. He was a member of the Privy council of Scotland from 1599. He was created Lord of Roxburgh at the end of 1599, and was created Baron of Roxburgh in 1600. He succeeded to his father's estates in 1606 and was created the first Earl of Roxburgh in 1616. He was appointed Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland in 1637.

On the breaking out of civil war in Scotland in 1639 he joined the king. Later he also fought with the king during the English civil war (1642-1651). In 1648 he supported the engagement to rescue the king. He died in 1650, in his 80th year. On his death, the lordship of Roxburgh became extinct. The ruins of Roxburgh Castle are thought by some historians to be those of Camelot. The civil war ended with the Parlimentary victory at the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #145 on: 2012-05-12, 15:39:41 »
Just got "ARN" haven't had time to watch it.

It's very well done; I think you'll enjoy it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #146 on: 2012-05-12, 18:00:21 »
It's very well done; I think you'll enjoy it.

I did see Arn and I second Sir Edward on the recommendation. 

I do have the El Cid movie with Charelton Heston...actually to say I have a HUGE collection of medieval & knight movies is being modest!

Excellent!  ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #147 on: 2012-05-15, 16:21:47 »
I may have been the first of us to see ARN...I wrote a thread about it.  Now I need to get the books so I can see how far off they strayed from the source material.  Something tells me, not very far at all.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #148 on: 2012-05-15, 17:53:12 »
I may have been the first of us to see ARN...I wrote a thread about it.  Now I need to get the books so I can see how far off they strayed from the source material.  Something tells me, not very far at all.

I hope so Sir William.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #149 on: 2012-05-19, 13:43:19 »
I still haven't had the time to watch it. Too much to do in the spring...scutting grass, and hedge...getting the house ready for the warm weather...etc. I'll watch it eventually.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"