Main > The Round Table

Which Knightly Virtue can stand alone?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-03-10, 15:01:47 ---I believe we are of a mind; no single virtue is above the other, but of them all, I feel that Honor stands alone.  A man without honor is a man who will always make the wrong choice; he will always be ruled by his baser instincts and desires because he does not know better, or refuses to acknowledge it.  Either way, a man without honor is worthy only within sight of eye; do not turn your back on him.  An honorable man will strive for honesty; he would train in his areas of weakness that he might serve his lord better and thus increase his strength and prowess; an honorable man will know courage for he will not play the coward, he would see justice done.

Humility, fidelity and courtesy are traits espoused by all who are given the Accolade, but especially by the most puissant of knights- an honorable man would hold himself to such ideals because it is right and just to do so.

--- End quote ---

I wholeheartedly concur Sir William and would have to choose honor above all as well. Strength in muscle, spirit and will are after all finite virtues yet you can hold onto your honor even when at the very end of your strength. The best example of honor IMO was Christ on the cross. At anytime he could have called out to our heavenly Father to send ten thousand legions of angles to rescue him but he chose to honor his Father and remained on the cross until it was finished.

Sir Wolf:
oh boy how do you answer.
one without the other can be good or can be bad. but together its almost impossible to be bad.

Sir Patrick:
I vote for honor as well.  It is the sense of honor that seperates the knight from the common thug.  Certainly a knight, by virtue of his prowess, could take just about anything he wanted from anyone weaker, but it is his sense of honor that compells him to defend those same people instead.  For example, William Marshal and Renaud de Chatillion were both knights and both were known for their skill at arms, yet one is held up as the model of chivalry and the other is reviled.  A knight without honor is a dangerous creature.

Thorsteinn:
Remember:

It's not important What you answer is only that you Have an answer that is well thought out & reasoned.

At least I hope that was the point of Sir Gemini's question, come to think I never did ask. Hmmm...

-Ivan

Joshua Santana:
To me, Honor is the substance of Chivalry.  Honor combined with Courage (the mettle of Honor) is a virtuous combination that makes us Knights who we are and what we seek in life.

With the Virtue of Honor in mind, I recall how El Cid (Sir Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar) was challenged and threatened by the King of Spain for setting a moorish general free instead of killing him.  He had to face ridicule in the Spanish Court, insults to his father and having to kill the father of his bride Jimena (for not taking back the insults he made to his father).  But during all of this, he held true to his honor and succeeded through these trials.  He even went on to help recapture Valencia and other territories from the Moors in Africa.

My point is that I agree that Honor is more likely the Virtue that can stand on it's own.

Without Honor, we are nothing, but with Honor we become more than what we are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version