Main > The Round Table

Which Knightly Virtue can stand alone?

(1/3) > >>

Thorsteinn:
The Modern Medieval web show once asked:

"POP QUIZ! Humility, Strength, Courage, Honesty, Prowess, Honor, Courtesy, Justice, Fidelity... Which of these virtues(if any) can stand alone without the others? I have my answer, what is yours?"

So, what's your answer?

Mine was:

--- Quote ---Strength.

Without it you cannot enact the other Virtues within the world in a meaningful way.

It is one of the 3 prime virtues of the Olympic Games and the only one of the 3 which is truly more than a physical trait.

Also you can have it preface the other Virtues as well: IE Strength of Humility, Strength of Courage, Strength of Honesty, Etc.

The opposite of Strength is Weakness, and to have Weakness in any of the Virtues is to be in need of improvement.

Finally, without Strength, you cannot even pick your armour box off the ground, and it takes Strength of Mind to begin to walk the Path of Chivalry.

(Formerly known as The Tenacious, and Tenacity is a Strength too.)
--- End quote ---

-Ivan

Sir Edward:

That's a good answer, I like that.

From that list, I'd find it hard to choose. From a broader list, I'd say everything derives from Truth. Honesty, Knowledge, and Wisdom I feel are direct subsets of Truth, and these are necessary to find your way to each of the other virtues. To illustrate my point, I'll paraphrase something I just saw on another forum: What are individual virtues but a set of balances between vices? For instance, courage could be seen as the proper balance on a continuum between cowardice at one end, and foolhardiness at the other.

To know the truth, and have the wisdom to apply it and find your way, is what makes all of the others possible, IMHO. :)

SirNathanQ:
I too cannot choose any of the virtues of knighthood above the other.
However, if I had to choose one that could stand alone it would be prowess.
No matter how fine a man's words be, no matter how fine a man's intentions be, if he does not posses the skill to fulfill those aspirations and goals, what has he achieved but blowing air into the wind?
A knight must be ready to lead by personal example. One who lacks prowess in what they feel is their true knightly calling will simply make a fool of themselves, similar to a knight who in the name of bravery, charges their horse headlong into a formation of pikes.
Knights are doers. They always have been, and always shall be.
One must not misinterpret my massage here though. I am not advocating that what makes a man a knight is solely skill. A true knight needs all of the other virtues to be a knight in the truest sense.
However, the ability to affect the world, make things happen, and make beautiful dreams reality is what separates a knight from a well-intentioned man. While I am not decrying the well-intentioned man in any sense (They are a sort that is sorely missed and of which more is needed), he is separated from a knight by the ability to accomplish great things. They both may be quite noble, but 'tis the knight who quests and fights, and bleeds for his cause.   

Sir William:
I believe we are of a mind; no single virtue is above the other, but of them all, I feel that Honor stands alone.  A man without honor is a man who will always make the wrong choice; he will always be ruled by his baser instincts and desires because he does not know better, or refuses to acknowledge it.  Either way, a man without honor is worthy only within sight of eye; do not turn your back on him.  An honorable man will strive for honesty; he would train in his areas of weakness that he might serve his lord better and thus increase his strength and prowess; an honorable man will know courage for he will not play the coward, he would see justice done.

Humility, fidelity and courtesy are traits espoused by all who are given the Accolade, but especially by the most puissant of knights- an honorable man would hold himself to such ideals because it is right and just to do so.

Sir Edward:

I had a feeling we'd all answer with different ideas. This is EXCELLENT. I love this thread. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version