"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: riveted long sleeved shirt for 400  (Read 4626 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: riveted long sleeved shirt for 400
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-02, 01:23:34 »
I still wonder where people get all this wedge riveted maille and whatnot. I look on other sites and can never seem to find any, unless it's the GDFB stuff.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-02, 02:19:50 »
right now the only mail in the USA historic enterprises, GDFB and Ice Falcon. i have the original Forth Armoury stuff that started the craze.  i think Deepeeka has rivetted mail now too

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-02, 03:29:53 »
Hmm I figured it was not sold in the USA, just more reasons to move to Europe.
I'd probably get that hauberk if I didn't have the stuff coming soon. Only issue is it would probably be too big on me due to my chest size being smaller than average. I like how its sleeves taper, thats really important for me cause I don't want to look like a liposuction patient when wearing my maille.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-02, 03:30:30 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-02, 03:59:40 »
most if not all of the mail at kult of athena is GDBF

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-02, 05:01:02 »
I was originally gonna get it from there actually, cause it's fairly cheap there.

I saw it upclose here and it lacks the "burnished" look that my fave maille types have.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130471

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-02, 16:06:23 »
I had gotten a similar one from Medieval Collectables (Canada) - replete with dousing of WD-40 so I sent it back.  When I tried it on I ended up w/black smears all over my gambeson and I was NOT happy about it so I got a credit and went w/a hauberk from wholesalearmor - I believe it is now out of business.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-02, 16:15:44 »

A lot of the time armor is shipped with black grease or something along those lines just to keep it from rusting in storage and shipment. It's a pain, but you're expected to clean it off yourself. :) Last time I did that, I put it in a bucket and sloshed it around with mineral spirits (I think this was my fauld or voiders, which is a bit easier than a hauberk).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-02, 17:03:31 »
But then it requires some form of treatment in order to maintain the mail, right?  I know, as it was in history, but well, I don't like the black marks or the smell.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #9 on: 2011-03-02, 17:17:45 »
Riveted mail is my next big purchase.  The weight reduction and combat durability are worth the expense.  Unfortunately, my armour budget is tapped out for the moment. :(

The gentleman is also offering "my" bascinet for sale.  It's not much of a bargain at $125 used with some rust.  A new one from KOA runs $138.  This bascinet does require some considerable modifications to meet SCA combat standards, but it is an excellent base piece with which to have fun and experiment.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-03-02, 17:46:39 »
Weight reduction?  As opposed to fighting in plate?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2011-03-02, 18:33:14 »
I think he means in comparison to butted mail. If the mail isn't riveted, you need a lot more steel to make the rings strong, so a lot of time it'll be made with 14 gauge wire. Boy does that get heavy. A hauberk can be over 40 pounds.

But yeah, the mail will of course be susceptible to rust after taking the grease off, but you can use something clear in color. Spray-on WD40 works, but it evaporates relatively quickly, so it's only good for a few weeks maybe. I've never re-sealed my voiders or fauld, and the only rust I have so far is on the ends of the voiders where it comes down near my wrists (and receives sweat more directly). The nice thing about mail is that when it moves, it scrapes some of the rust off on its own. When it accumulates a lot of it, you can throw it in a sack with sand, clean kitty-litter, or wood-chips, and slosh it around to scrape most of it off.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-02, 18:33:32 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2011-03-03, 01:55:31 »
Good thing my gambeson is black then, wouldn't really matter if stuff got on it. Only issue is getting in and out of cars, I don't want to stain up my friends seats in the car >_>. Guess I'm gonna have to put it on and take it off when I am there. I actually keep all my stuff oiled and I yell at my friends if they touch my blades cause I don't want the oil coating to get smeared and cause my blades to rust. Bet I'm going to do the same once I get my armor. Oddly my helm is steel and hasn't rusted much at all apart from a few specks here and there.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-03-04, 14:55:50 »
I usually armor up after I've arrived...for just the same reason, Sir Ulrich.  And why does everyone want to touch the blade all the damn time?  Even after I said don't touch it, you got people who can't seem to hear.  lol

Sir Edward, I get it...having worn a butted hauberk before, 16 ga, I can agree that it is pretty heavy.  My current riveted one does not feel that much lighter tho.  I imagine if my butted had been 14 ga the difference would be more noticeable.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-04, 14:56:21 by Sir William »