"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: New GDFB kettle helms  (Read 4889 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New GDFB kettle helms
« on: 2011-02-22, 06:08:56 »
http://gdfb.com/cart/helmets-kettle-hats-c-51_5.html
I checked that out and I see they got new kettle helms, can only hope some of them will be sold here in the USA.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: New GDFB kettle helms
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-22, 15:26:44 »
hehe i like that ultuna helmet! ive never finished mine

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-24, 01:42:12 »
If they don't sell them here, I could probably buy one while I'm in England later this year and bring it back with me and ship it to you, or maybe ship it from over there.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-24, 03:37:21 »
If they don't sell them here, I could probably buy one while I'm in England later this year and bring it back with me and ship it to you, or maybe ship it from over there.
May I ask if the trip is business, pleasure or a little of both?  If pleasure, please tell me that you're going to visit 100 castles and weapon collections posting thousands of photographs for us to drool over. ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-24, 14:47:48 »
^^^yes, what he said!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-25, 23:54:51 »
May I ask if the trip is business, pleasure or a little of both?  If pleasure, please tell me that you're going to visit 100 castles and weapon collections posting thousands of photographs for us to drool over. ;)
^^^yes, what he said!

Pleasure, how could a trip to England NOT be pleasurable? ;) I'll be going for somewhere around 2 weeks. I do have a number of castles on the "wish list" to see, but I still have to figure out distances and map out what would be reasonable to do, since I don't know the distance between them. My wife and I will both be taking our cameras, and I'll be taking at least one harness to lend some atmosphere to some of the pics too. At least, that's the plan - it depends on finances. It's our "18 months after the wedding" honeymoon. :o

Ideally, I'll find a curator or two who won't mind showing me "under the glass case", and letting me me paw at a real sword or two. No definitive time frame for the trip yet, other than sometime after Sept 1st, when ticket prices drop. I've been watching too much Highlander lately, I keep thinking when I'm over there I'll introduce myself as "James Anderson of the Clan Anderson" and give my best shot at a slight accent, and see what happens. :D

I should ask my dad if we still have the pictures from when we took a family trip 15 years ago - the only time I've been. We went to the Tower of London and I had a great time at Warwick Castle. I also got to meet a umpteenth generation smith, who had his smithy before the town even existed. I got to hold a claymore that he made from a section of railroad track. Really cool guy. I hope those pictures and VHS tapes weren't amongst the items we lost when the basement flooded years ago ... crossing my fingers!

I'll post a new thread when I have a time frame booked, and see what I can do about bringing a thing or two back with us. It'll probably depend on size, weight and quantity.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-28, 19:39:39 »
Whatever you do, above all, enjoy it.  Hopefully your entire time won't be spent chasing down castles...don't forget to chase the wife around a bit as well!  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-02, 01:22:41 »
Hmm they seem to have removed one of them O_o The one that appeals to me most is the 13th century kettle helm though, it's very similar to the one I already have though.

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #8 on: 2011-03-02, 19:25:31 »
It's our "18 months after the wedding" honeymoon. :o

Funny that is the same as my wife and I; our 2006 trip was our "honeymoon" 18 months after our marriage. I also fought at Hastings on that trip.

I loved Leeds, the Wallace Collection, and the Tower of London for armor. Warwick Castle, and Bodam castle were cool. The Museum of London, the V&A, and the British Museum was full of cool stuff too, mostly every day objects with bits of armor.