"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: went to my first Sci Fi Con  (Read 3672 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
went to my first Sci Fi Con
« on: 2011-02-20, 14:07:10 »
was really a lot smaller than i had thought they were. i went to Farpoint and hung out with some friends. I'd have to say they were the highlight for pictures and such cause they were all Colonial Marines from Aliens and a few Star Wars figures.  not much in the way of venders etc or really other good costumes besides the group I was hanging out with.

are most Con's like this? I know I wasn't there during the highlight (at night) as I had to head back home for the evening with the kids. anyone have any experiences with other local Cons? Are there any bigger ones etc?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: went to my first Sci Fi Con
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-20, 18:13:13 »

Farpoint is really small, and has gotten smaller over the years. I don't bother going to it anymore (though I probably would if they started courting the fan groups to set up displays and demos more). Shevacon is the one I go to at this time of year (first weekend of march, down in Roanoke VA). It's just as tiny, but they really like the fan clubs, and the droid group gets treated well, so we go.

Shore Leave is the Baltimore one I still go to. It's quite a bit bigger than Farpoint. There are some huge ones out there too, but they're usually farther away.

Dragoncon is one of the bigger SciFi/Fantasy cons around, but it's down in Atlanta. They take over 3 large convention hotels. Never been to it, but I'd like to at some point.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-20, 19:55:35 »
oh ok kewl. hmmmm.

i don't think i can make Shevacon. we will be at Dianna's grandparents that weekend. shame, I'd like to come see ya. Shoreleave sounds neat. they have a large Star Wars gathering? if so Might take the kids. Farpoint seemed more like a Star Trek

so when is DragonCon? road trip ? hehehe

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-20, 20:02:33 »
Do they still have the Star Wars celebration weekends?  They had one of those back in my old stomping grounds a few years back, and it was HUGE!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-21, 03:58:58 »

Farpoint and Shore Leave are both very heavy on the Star Trek, since that's how they started out. They usually have some other things but it's not as emphasized. Dragoncon is one of the ones that covers anything scifi/fantasy, and has a little of everything.

I've never made it out to Celebrations. It's the really big Star Wars con. They held it over here on the east coast for the first time this past year, but it was down in Florida and I couldn't make it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-23, 19:55:47 »
One of the SBG forumites attends DragonCon every year and he loves it...he goes in a soft kit usually (although he's been known to go in harness) and the chics really dig it.  I've never heard of some of these others, like Farpoint and Shevacon...I take it they're fun if you still go to them.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€