"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: SwordWiki  (Read 5211 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
SwordWiki
« on: 2011-02-16, 22:08:41 »
One of the other projects (in addition to this forum) that I had running to try to help out with the general historical community was to create SwordWiki. It came up as an idea over on Sword Forum, and so I offered to host it. The hope was that some folks would rally around it and try to make it informative.

Well, other than what I did, not much has gotten contributed to it, and it's mostly been idle. I don't think it gets used much. And of course, spammers start intruding and messing it up.

So I've had to shut it down. (you can see the notice on its domain here: http://swordwiki.org/).

However, I have an idea. Maybe it can be re-purposed as a resource here. I don't think I want to hack on it to get it to use the same login as the forum, but I could give everyone an HTTP password to use to get to it, and then they can create an account within the wiki.

I'm still trying to delete the spam content, but I have the wiki moved over to a subdomain:

http://swordwiki.modernchivalry.org/

(it should be asking for a password at the browser level, which isn't configured yet).
« Last Edit: 2011-02-16, 22:09:03 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: SwordWiki
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-16, 22:48:26 »
I'm not well versed enough to say much about them historically, other than "pointy part goes away from you", but I can take a shot at a rough outline if you want.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-17, 03:23:04 »
I'm currently pulling together a feature article for myArmoury on baselard daggers.  After it has been published I'd have some time to help as well.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-17, 03:51:29 »

We had created a pretty good framework already. The hope was to add detail specs on all available production swords, sword makers, etc. Some people got enthusiastic and added a bunch at once, and then it would sit idle for 6 to 12 months.

Anyway, if you want to take a look, you can use username "guest" and password "modernchiv1" (that's a one on the end). To make edits, you have to make an account within the wiki. (http://swordwiki.modernchivalry.org/wiki/Main_Page)

As I said, I'm still removing the spam content, so don't make any changes yet.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-17, 04:21:55 »

OK, I think I cleared all the spam out. That was a lot of changes to revert, and usernames to cancel. Ugh.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-17, 14:14:54 »
Awesome idea, I'll be more than happy to contribute.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-17, 19:50:07 »
I've got general stats like blade length, guard width, blade thickness, and overall length for the swords I own, but they're almost all wall hangers. I'll see if I have a chance to add them tomorrow.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-17, 19:54:24 »

It's up to you guys, if you'll find it a useful resource. I just hate to delete it completely. I don't think I can open it up publicly again (without some sort of access restriction) since it's just too painful to stay on top of the spammers.
Sir Ed T. Toton III