"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Chivalry Today podcasts  (Read 3739 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Chivalry Today podcasts
« on: 2011-02-14, 19:25:59 »
I've started listening to a few of these. Here's the main website:

http://chivalrytoday.com/

And the list of available popdcasts on itunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/chivalry-today/id142190623

(apparently the first 7 are no longer available?)

I started listening at the beginning (episode 8). I've listened to three of them so far. If you can spare an hour here and there, they're actually pretty good. He interviews various book authors and discusses a range of topics, including how chivalry has evolved over the years, the notion of courtly love (and secret affairs), etc. The one I listened to last talked about the Benedictine rule and how it could be applied to ethical business leadership.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: Chivalry Today podcasts
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-15, 05:52:49 »
Oddly enough, I downloaded the first several myself (starting with #8) just last night.  I listened to a few today during some traveling I did for work.  Pretty interesting stuff.  I definitely think it's worth checking out.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-09, 15:06:18 »

I finished listening to them all last week. I just gradually worked my way through them. What's interesting is that toward the end of what's currently out, he started up a fund-raising drive called "50 by 50", in which he set a goal of getting 50 donations before the 50th episode, or else the 50th would be the final episode. It was an attempt to gauge interest. It ended up falling short, at about 45, so the plan is to continue on with a new season, but restructured somehow.

He's encouraging people to send in comments and suggestions. I know one idea is shorter shows. I could go for that. It's a bit intimidating to look in the podcast folder and see every single episode is a minimum of 55 minutes, with many reaching past an hour. In the current day of facebook and youtube, I think it's easier to get people to follow more bite-sized productions. If he released more frequently, but kept them to 30 minutes, I think there would be a more stable following. But that's just a guess of course.

Episode 50 was pretty good, and had an interview with Christian Tobler. Some of the other episodes leading up to it had some interesting discussions about the direction that modern culture is taking with how kids are raised, leading to a sort of entitled "princess" attitude, and men who never really grow out of being boys. Most of these discussions are in the form of interviews with book authors and the like.

Anyway, if you haven't taken a look, it's worth checking out. Just plan your time accordingly since the episodes are usually over an hour in length.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-11, 14:12:43 »
I think shorter ones would be fantastic. About 15-20 minutes is the max of my attention span for something that is just audio with no visuals, even for subjects I really like.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-11, 21:53:19 »
Have you read Duke Guillaumes books?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-19, 21:14:57 »
Chivalry Today's Podcasts are amazing in terms of information and educational value.

I have listened to the current podcast episodes and they taught me a lot about the value of Honor expressed in various cultural stories and media such as Star Wars, Robin Hood, heck even medieval literature get a spot light on several episodes!

I recommend the podcasts and I support the show.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.