"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Middle English pronunciations  (Read 16376 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Middle English pronunciations
« on: 2011-01-31, 19:48:18 »
For most of our relevant period, Middle English is the form of English that would have been used ("Old English" was more Germanic and spoken prior to somewhere around 1100 AD).

Middle English actually resembled modern English quite a bit, but with some strong differences in pronunciation. Most of our modern spellings derive from this time (even though the spellings of the time also differed quite a lot). Most of the silent letters in modern English were pronounced back then. For instance, the "k" in "knight" was pronounced (and so was the "gh" like a soft form of the "ch" in the German "ich", and the "i" had more of an "ee" sound). Ironically, as a result, the text is probably easier to read than it would be to listen to it spoken.

I just thought I'd share since I ran across some of this in some random googling. It's useful to understand if you look at the untranslated versions of Chaucer.

Here's a neat little succinct description, though the links to the audio samples are broken:

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~will2/chaucer.html

A youtube sample of middle English:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU[/youtube]

« Last Edit: 2011-02-01, 15:44:06 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Middle English pronunciations
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-31, 20:01:45 »

A few passages in audio. The audio clips start a few lines into the text passage in most cases:

http://www.auburn.edu/chaucer/sound.htm
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-31, 21:47:17 »
I understand most of it, oddly. Shame I can't speak it then I'd be REALLY accurate in period, and no one would understand what I was saying.
But when it came to old anglo saxon I could BARELY understand it. I also read that Scots is actually closer to old anglo saxon than modern english is. Not sure if thats true but anglo saxon ALMOST sounds scottish with its roughness and tons of tongue rolling.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-01, 15:27:02 »

I think Old English would be pretty cool to pick up too, though it's before our period. I had a small exposure to it in an English class a long time ago, but all I remember is that "se cuyning" means "the king".
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-01, 17:19:16 »
This is why there is no time travel...it'd be a bunch of people babbling at eachother, gesticulating vociferously to get their point across.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-01, 19:48:52 »
Sir Ed T. Toton III