Main > The Round Table

What was your "defining moment" that drew you to knighthood/chivalry?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Sir Rodney:
I don’t recall a specific moment in time or event that drew me into researching, emulating and practicing the chivalric arts.  It was really more of a natural progression of sorts.

My story is very similar to so many others.  My interest was first aroused in the late ‘70s or very early ‘80s by Basic D&D (the original old boxed set).  I was content with playing D&D and AD&D through college.  I was also a huge fan of Star Wars (the original three movies) which was simply a space age version of knights rescuing those in distress by fighting monsters, evil knights and a despot emperor.  This, I believe, helped lay the groundwork for my future interests.

At some point 13+ years ago, a coworker invited me over to a practice session where they put on replica armour and beat on each other with rattan clubs.  I was enthralled with the armour and action as I sat on the back porch.  The leader of group walked up and said “Don’t just sit there, put on this loaner gear and give it a try.”  Here was an activity that combined my interest in armour and knighthood with the physical contact I enjoyed so much in Division III football.  I was immediately hooked and there was no turning back!

I was never completely satisfied with my first plastic armour-like protection and ill fitting great helm.  Great time and energy was expended making steel components that (sort of) looked like those pictured in my growing library.  Then Brian Price’s Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction fell into my hands.  I was now able to create more accurate armour bits in less time with much less hassle.  My kit was starting to come together.

I stumbled upon a web site called myArmoury in 2006 and registered.  Unfortunately, having a dial-up connection in those days meant any internet activity proved to be very frustrating.  It wasn’t until three years (and a DSL connection) later that I became active on that forum.  My interest in all things medieval took off and I started to explore the many facets of medieval history and Chivalry all the while maintaining my involvement with same group of great friends in the SCA.

Chivalry is just one of the facets comprising medieval history that is hotly debated in the SCA today.  A whole sub-forum of the Armour Archive is dedicated to his endeavor.  The discussions that interest me the most include not only emulating the Chivalry of the past, but how to apply these principals to both my reenactment and, more importantly, everyday life.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Rodney on 2011-01-11, 16:43:24 ---Chivalry is just one of the facets comprising medieval history that is hotly debated in the SCA today.  A whole sub-forum of the Armour Archive is dedicated to his endeavor.  The discussions that interest me the most include not only emulating the Chivalry of the past, but how to apply these principals to both my reenactment and, more importantly, everyday life.

--- End quote ---

I don't get on there often, but I occasionally like some of the discussions on the Chivalry sub-forum on the archive. Actually it's loosely tied to my wake-up back in 2006. We were getting ready to go to Pennsic for the first time, and I hadn't looked in on that forum for quite a while, so I popped in and read a variety of threads. One discussion was SCA knights comparing memories of their vigils and ceremonies, and it helped get the ball rolling in my head.

SirNathanQ:
AH! I cannot believe I missed this thread! Anyway, here goes.
I have ALWAYS had an interest in swords and armour. I have a picture which I call "Page Nathan" that my mum dug up. It is of me, about 11 years ago. In the picture I am wearing those plastic toy armour, and holding a sword and shield. Whenever I would go to a toy store, I would go immediately to that large plastic army depot that every toy store has and start swinging around the toy swords. Any sword flick, I was into.

So I would probably be doing this hobby (swords and armour) even if I never had the privilege to find chivalry.
The chivalry part started about 5 years ago. In 6th grade. I played sports, I had an older girlfriend, I had tons of buddies. By most "dude" standards, I should have been high as a kite. But I wasn't. I was looking for something else. I had always identified with knights and the like, but I hadn't really dived headfirst like nowadays. I found what was "more" in the code of chivalry. That's when I really made the transition from being "one of the guys" to (an attempt at) Knighthood.
It is also how I worship God. I am strongly Catholic, and after becoming interested in chivalry, I realized that it was almost a guide to practicing my faith every day. I worship god by emulating in every way those men who were most fervent to him as laymen. Those men, who took no vows, who had no obligation (unless you packed yourself off to a fighting order  ;D) yet still were fervent as any martyr. Those knights, who died for God, lived his teachings, fought for him, and were obedient to his representatives. By becoming closer to what they are, I feel that I become closer to my God.   

Sir William:
That was well put, Sir Nathan...that your chivalry has ties to your faith will only serve to strengthen it (and you) as you go.  Kudos.

Sir Wolf:
i don't know that i have a defining moment. i have always tried to live my life according to God and my faith. i have tried to always be a good friend and neighbor to others. i have always like the "toys" that go with knights and such. the chaotic good characters and barbarians have always had my mind for games and such, but i don't think i could really be one in real life. maybe I'm "too good" or a softy or something hehehe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version