Main > The Round Table

What was your "defining moment" that drew you to knighthood/chivalry?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Sir William:
Different strokes for different folks, is all.

SirNathanQ:
I second Sir William, everyone has a different path, even if a few have intersected at the same place.

Sir Patrick:
While I've always thught of myself as a good guy, I really didn't step onto the chivalric path until my kids were born.  Having kids really changes your worldview.  I wanted to set a good example for them, and the more I worked at it, the more I came to understand it was the chivalric ideal I was trying to instill in them (and awakening within myself).  As for matters of faith, I too have found the ideals of chivalry and spirituality to be so intertwined that one strengthens the other (of course maybe that was the point when the church introduced the code to keep a check on knightly violence) ;)

Thorsteinn:
My mom found the SCA in 1972 in Cleveland, then again in 1980 in Reno, NV. She started fighting in armour when I was 4 (1983), my stepdad was Knighted in the SCA West Kingdom when I was 11. I got into armour for the first time when I was 21.

I'm now 32. So... It's kinda been a "what else would you expect me to do?" kind of thing.

:)

-Ivan

Sir Ulrich:
Well for me it had to do with some inspiration from a few movies I saw. Namely Excalibur and Arn the Knight Templar. Noticed I kinda had a few traits of the characters there. Inspired me a bit to be "knightly" towards people in many ways. Then in 2009 I met a bunch of people at ren faires who remembered me as a "humble socially awkward red haired boy" then they started to see that I was different and whatnot. Odd how they remember me despite myself only ever going to 2 faires before that. The fact they treated me with respect and accepted me when I have had a lot of hard time being accepted in society myself literally changed how I felt. I actually felt at home around these people and figured I finally found my place in the world. Later on I discovered that I was a descendant of the Normans, who were probably the first knights around, so it means it's in my blood essentially. Still I am only knightly towards those who respect me, I don't waist chivalry and love on ingrates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version