"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Sword/Medievally-themed Shows  (Read 4493 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sword/Medievally-themed Shows
« on: 2010-11-09, 15:41:13 »
Everyone knows about Rome, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, The Tudors, Xena, etc...anyone ever heard of this one, starring Heath Ledger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar_(TV_series)

I just got it not too long ago and my sister borrowed it from me so I never actually got to watch it, has anyone here seen it before?

Let's see, Legend of the Seeker's not bad, so long as you don't mind the fact that they don't adhere to the source material all that much, beyond characters and place names...the swordplay's gotten a lot better.  The first season you could tell Craig Horner had never held a sword before but he's much more fluid with it now.  Craig Parker's also very good as his nemesis, Darken Rahl, altho he's his brother in the series, in the books he's actually Richard's father.  Parker played Haldir in LOTR, in case you're interested.

The Adventures of Merlin is a good show, haven't kept up with it but saw several episodes; deals with Arthur before he is king...portrayed as a selfish, arrogant rich kid, he is learning what it means to be a human being and to treat others as such, as well as tracking his progress to the throne.  Like the name suggests, the real impetus of the show is the young Merlin who is Arthur's guardian and squire among other things.  Pretty decent action sequences and the acting's pretty good...the sets and locales all have an authentic look and feel to them; overall, an enjoyable show to watch, just wish I had more time.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-09, 16:14:10 by Paladin »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Sword/Medievally-themed Shows
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-09, 16:11:51 »
Oh yeah, I thought it was pretty good actually. That's where I first learned of Heath Ledger, and he was already an excellent actor even as young as he was in this show. The show starts to go downhill slightly towards the end of the season (they only made one), after they apparently decided that Longinus wasn't menacing enough or something. But I actually thought that was part of what made the show good. They had a semi-tragic semi-villainous character whose motivation only tangentially caused him to be a problem for the other characters, and this made for some interesting interactions I thought.

Since I only saw it all once, back when it aired, I'm hoping I'm remembering it well. It could be that my more current sensibilities might judge it differently. I have it on my wish-list.

« Last Edit: 2010-11-09, 16:14:08 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-09, 16:55:37 »
Oh that's good then...seeing as we're like-minded when it comes to movies and shows such as these, I have a good feeling about it.  Now, I just need for my darling sister to return it to me!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-09, 20:58:51 »
oh yeah i remember the Celty lad :)

i like Merlin. not to historical but fun to watch!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-09, 21:28:15 »
There's nothing at all historical about Arthur, but if you're referring to the time frame then yes, I'd agree.  I know I said that I liked the set designs and costumes, but as with any medieval production, they always forget the DIRT.  As far as Arthur goes, anything that comes along I try to view with an open mind.  I'll tell you, I can't think of any real stinkers, but there have been some done that left a lot to be desired.  Action, mostly.  I feel, if it is about knights, then they should be heavily featured in the appropriate venue, fully armed and armored, on horseback preferably with a lot of maneuvering room.  :)
« Last Edit: 2010-11-09, 21:29:12 by Paladin »