"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Knight for Hire  (Read 13514 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Knight for Hire
« on: 2010-11-04, 19:10:34 »

http://www.knightforhire.com/

Heh, interesting. This dude hires himself out to give talks about knights, attend weddings, etc. He's been "dubbed" by Mayors, and has a webpage listing them all.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Knight for Hire
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-04, 19:45:11 »
Yea, I came across this guy's site a few years back....it wasn't nearly as elaborate back then as it is now.  This used to be his main site image:  http://www.knightforhire.com/images/large2.jpg

The one I remember the most.  I remember it because I thought the suit looked grand, even tho he used a wallhanger sword to complete it.  I guess because a lot of people attribute the 'knight in shining armor' with King Arthur so why not use a version of Excalibur, right?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-04, 20:02:26 »

That's cool, it looks like he went to a photography studio to have that done. That excalibur certainly is photogenic. I own one too. Definitely a wall hanger though!

I sent him an email to let him know about our forum here.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-04, 21:08:56 »
I found that site a while back as well.  Looks pretty cool, and he's in my neck of the woods!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-04, 21:15:46 »
I think what he's doing is a prime example of a grassroots campaign...he's not waiting for the interested or curious to come to him, he's bringing it to them, to the classrooms, the assemblages.  His behavior in this regard is knightly, as he spreads the knowledge of knighthood to the 'ignorant' and 'unwashed' masses. 

“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-05, 01:49:15 »
thats pretty bad assed. cool thanks for the link

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-05, 03:45:39 »
Wow. I thought it looked mildly familiar, and then I saw the tribute to his father page. I saw that site probably a decade ago or more. Very impressive that he's moved forward and seems to have done well for himself on that. The story of his father hits pretty close to home, my father lost his father when he was very young, and one of my biggest fears is to leave my child(ren) (when I have them, of course) when they are still young.

It's interesting that he mentions how the US can knight people, and not just England. Anyone know if there's any logic/truth to that? It's a bit hypocritical, but I feel like knighting in england is mostly hollow in this day and age. Elton John? Patrick Stewart? Paul McCartney? Alfred Hitchcock? Seems there are innumerable others deserving of that honor, like the ones who perform feats of heroism and get little more than the requisite "15 minutes of fame", if even that....
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-05, 13:17:16 »
Knighthood these days is just like getting a medal, the significance is lost for the most part.  So why not?  What is required to be able to give the accolade?  I gave the accolade to my best man before my wedding so he could stand beside me, even though I have never received it myself.  Your thoughts, knights?
« Last Edit: 2010-11-05, 13:17:48 by Paladin »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-05, 14:45:35 »

Knighthood has evolved a lot. Believe it or not, there are many European nations that have an unbroken tradition of knighthood, including specific Orders that have existed for centuries. In England, they have more than one form of it, including the Order of the Garter which has only a very specific number of "seats" that it keeps filled. In all of these cases, it's a title that has the much later connotation of what knighthood was, that it was evolving into during the Renaissance.

I agree, most of the general knightings we see in England today aren't what they used to be. To me it almost seems like it's a desperate attempt by their royalty to remain relevant in popular culture. I mean, Bill Gates? Really?

As for the idea of titles and knighthood in the US, there's some wiggle-room here. The constitution prevents the government from officially offering or sanctioning titles. However, there's nothing to stop private citizens from doing what they want in this regard, or private organizations (religious institutions, fraternal organizations, clubs, Orders, etc) from using whatever names and titles they wish. You can still be knighted by a foreign power, but the US government is disallowed from giving you any special treatment due to it. Royal bloodlines can live within our borders and retain their "royalty" in the eyes of the world.

So being knighted by town mayors doesn't carry any force of law behind it, but there's nothing to stop anyone from having a ceremony and using the word "sir" if they want to. In the UK I think you'd still be OK to do this within a private organization, but they have legal titles in their country, so going around calling yourself "sir" in a public context there would be a bad idea.

So I think you can call yourself a "real" knight if you've been knighted by someone else who is a "real" knight, or by one the of the orders or royalty in an existing unbroken tradition or bloodline, or if you're in a private organization that uses the title. The latter is an important point, I think, as that can include the various knightly groups that have sprung up all over the place.

In the end, what is "real" anyway? We are, after all, talking about a word being attached to a human being that is 99.999% genetically identical to every other human being. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-05, 14:55:15 »
Well, for my part, knighthood was never conferred upon me, I assumed that mantle years ago- as a child it was an aspiration I never totally forgot and as an adult, I espouse many of the chivalric ideals and try to live them.  Does this make me a knight?  As far as I'm concerned, it does.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-05, 15:27:55 »
Well, for my part, knighthood was never conferred upon me, I assumed that mantle years ago- as a child it was an aspiration I never totally forgot and as an adult, I espouse many of the chivalric ideals and try to live them.  Does this make me a knight?  As far as I'm concerned, it does.

I think for our purposes, that yes, of course it does. We're as knightly as we choose to be.

And heck, as being part of western culture, it's part of our own cultural heritage. A legacy that we've all inherited.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-05, 16:06:17 »
Agreed.  I've been considering plotting my genealogy...on my Mom's side we're pretty sure there's some Celtic influence...as she was adopted there's been no real way to tell.  She hasn't been able to contact anyone in her original family as far as I know.  I keep fantasizing that I'm descended from some obscure branch of nobility in Ireland or Scotland.  A man can dream.  :)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #12 on: 2010-11-05, 16:51:16 »
hehehe, just no kilts with katanas ;) hahhaha

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2010-11-05, 16:52:38 »
RIGHT.  I never was a true Highlander fan...I guess the tv show killed it for me.  Methos had the most awful looking sword I ever saw- sure, it was shiny and solid looking, and totally garish to my eyes.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #14 on: 2010-11-06, 12:20:35 »
"There should have been only one." : ;D
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."