"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Blackened helmet  (Read 4070 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Blackened helmet
« on: 2010-10-30, 20:31:36 »
Does anyone know where I could get a simple blackened helmet, preferably either kettle helm or Norman conical helm? If they don't sell them already blackened how do I blacken it myself?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Blackened helmet
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-30, 20:41:53 »
i had good luck with boiled linseed oil and an old grill.

WARNING boiled linseed oil is highly combustible and flammable. leaving the oil on a rag will cause it to combust if not discarded properly. i soaked mine afterwards in a 5 gallon bucket of water and left it in there.

I took an old CD helmet and cut it down. then i sanded off all of the color and painted the boiled linseed oil on with a brush. then i put it on an old grill in the middle of the yard and walked away. when I came back it was a nice shiny black with a little red hugh here and there. a little crusty on the edges where the oil dripped but that is easily overlooked.

could also try some metal bluing like used on rifles

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-31, 04:02:29 »
Hmm now just to get a helm to do this to. Any suggestions on what helm would be good to do this to? I mean I want one that I can remove the liner easily so it doesn't burn off or whatever. The GDFB ones look nice for their price but I also saw this one http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=IR80699&name=Nasal+Spangenhelm not sure of the quality though.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-01, 18:38:20 »
Sir Wolf, the helmet finish looks great! Does it come out as a dense black or is it at all opaque? It looks dense almost like the consistancy of oil paint in the pic.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-01, 23:39:05 »
umm i have to say i am not familiar with that paint color ;) hehehe

the roundels are different shades due to it was galvanized metal and all I had at the time.  the helm is solid 1 color but has some shine. hehe really hard to explain without seeing it hehe.

oh Allan, I will be emailing you in the month of Nov about those knees :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hooo

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-02, 19:32:06 »
Allan offers heat-bluing as an option- you could go for one of his kettle helms and choose that option.  Or go Sir Wolf's DIY route if you're feeling adventurous.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-05, 22:01:12 »
Can I have a link to his site that sells stuff? Would like to see.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-05, 22:04:09 »
Twords the bottom are pics of heat blued pieces http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010253&id=1200387794&l=286af0e1b2

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-08, 09:12:44 »
Heat bluing is exactly the look I want. Wonder if I could do that to mail armor. That oxide layer that actually protects the armor from rusting. How exactly is it done?

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-08, 12:58:14 »
How exactly is it done?

Heat

I'm not sure how long it would last on maile as the constant friction from the rings in motion when worn would abraid it.