Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Honor

<< < (2/14) > >>

Sir Patrick:
I agree completely with you gentlemen.  Honor without respect is mere artiface, and an excuse for base behavior in the name of chivalry.

Sir Wolf:
re reading this i do think that society thinks that honor like so many other chivalry ideals are something that are out of reach so they don't try. respect/honor being one of the ones most wanted and claimed to have been slighted with. people fail to see that baby steps get them in the correct direction just as fast as giant leaps. having the honor to fess up and leave your insurance info when you back up into an unmanned parked car or to simply tell the truth without fear etc.

wikipedia and the dictionary have so many different names for honor its crazy. but i sorta like: honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/honor

Sir William:
To live honorably is to accept a more difficult road in life, if only because you'll be by yourself for most of the journey.  As you've all stated, rather eloquently, being a man of honor is to invite ignorance and ridicule- two defense mechanisms baser folk use to deride something they cannot understand.

Something so little as correcting a cashier when they give back too much change can cause the people around you to give you a second look- and cynicism being as rampant as it is, they all question the why of it.  Nevermind that an honorable man also sleeps well at night- he fears no reprisal because he's done nothing wrong.  At least, that's how I see it.

Its easy to sit back and be a casual observer, give in to lower instincts simply because other sheep have told you thus, and you've witnessed it for yourself.  One need not be a crusader in all things, but it is important that one understands the need to fight for what you believe in...should you decide not to, you can blame no one but your own self when things go awry that probably could've been avoided had you taken a stand when the opportunity came.  This can apply to many things, I'm not speaking on any one instance.

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---To live honorably is to accept a more difficult road in life, if only because you'll be by yourself for most of the journey.
--- End quote ---

That's why I'm always hanging out here!

--- Quote ---Something so little as correcting a cashier when they give back too much change can cause the people around you to give you a second look- and cynicism being as rampant as it is, they all question the why of it.
--- End quote ---

That seriously happened to me over the weekend, and in the few moments it took to make the correction, I heard multiple grumblings behind me along the lines of "Just take it and get moving."  Yes it might have been expedient, but it would not have been right.  The young lady at the checkout thanked me, because it saved her from having her drawer come up short at the end of the night.  They may be big, or they may be small, but there are always consequences to our actions.

Sir William:
Agreed; I had the same experience yesterday at a local deli- the owner is a genial guy, made a simple mistake and I corrected him on it.  Granted, he probably wouldn't have gotten in much trouble being the owner and all but still- it was the principle of the matter.  Let the sheep continue bleating, its what they're best at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version