Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Honor

(1/14) > >>

Sir Edward:

I've heard it said that compassion can be shown in giving a drink of water to a thirsty friend, but true honor can be found in giving a drink of water to a thirsty enemy.

Honor is a nebulous concept, as it has taken many forms throughout the ages. For instance, during the renaissance there were complex rules about the use of duels to settle matters of honor, much of which centered around attempting to disprove a lie about you, which could tarnish your honor. This form of honor is an intangible quality, like reputation, but internal as well.

However the word honor also describes one's own behavior, particularly in how you behave when no one sees, or in how you treat an adversary.

Honor is something that many people associate with knights, almost to a fault. That is, often times "honor" is not thought of as a common trait today, and instead is often relegated to "a nobler time". However, I don't think the need for honor has ever diminished, and there's as great a need for it today as there ever was before. We tend to see severe lack of it our politicians, and some large businesses, where greed often can take center stage.

What do you think are some good examples of honor today? And historically? How does it fit into our framework of chivalry?

Sir Patrick:
Ten views and no takers.  Okay, I'll go first.  I'm hard-pressed to find a good example of honor today.  I'm not saying they aren't out there, they just aren't high profile enough to hit the radar.  As far as historical examples, I'll offer up the Roman Cincinnatus.  During a time of crisis, Cincinnatus was asked by the Roman Republic to take on the roll of dictator and commander of the army.  Sixteen days later, after having routed the republic's enemies and with the army still flush with the victory, Cincinnatus returned power back to the senate and went back to his estate.  Could you see any modern leader thrust into the role of military dictator ceeding power so willingly? 

Sir Edward asks how honor fits into our code of chivalry, and I submit this:  If Truth is the bones of chivalry and Humility the sinew that hold it together (as Sir Brian so eliquantly put it), Honor is the muscle that sets it in motion.  Honor is active, it about how one carries himself through the various episodes of his life.  A person can be honest, and humble, but not necessarilly be honorable.  There may be a dozen "Truths" to a situation, but the honorable man knows there is only one that is in the spirit of chivalry and acts accordingly--regardless of who is watching, the difficulty involved, or the results to himself.

The modern world tends to relegate Honor to a "different time" because deep down, it is inconvenient, or is viewed with suspicion.  Honorable behavior is all to often a facade for acquiring power, or to use as spin control.  It seems the more squeaky clean someone is nowadays, the darker the secrets they're hiding.  We live in age of cynicism where people tend to behave as if the world is too messed up to change so they might as just go for theirs and damn anying else. Too often our only barometer of success is material wealth and status, and people who play by the rules are chumps to be taken advantage of.  We've even killed the knight, reducing him down to a barbarous savage preying on the peasantry, adhering to a chivalric code simply to profit by way of ransom.  What society fails to grasp, is honor--chivalry--is an ideal that can never be lived up to.  It is a quest undertaken for the journey, not the destination.  All who take the path will fall victim to close scrutiny and should not be derided for it.  It is the setting out on the path and the small changes it makes in us that will ultimately make changes in the world.

Hope that didn't weird anyone out :-\

Sir Wolf:
well said

Sir Brian:
Very well stated Red Knight and I like your correlation of honor being the muscle that sets chivalry in motion!  :)

I often am reminded of the movie Rob Roy when Liam Neeson playing as Robert MacGregor is explaining honor to his two young sons.
“Honor is the gift that a man gives to himself” – Although a well written line from the notoriously inaccurate Hollywood movie machine, the words are nonetheless utterly true and they resonate within the very soul of everyone that longs for the days when chivalry was paramount in the bygone world.

But if I were to expand upon that explanation I would say that Respect is the very linchpin of honor:
Respect first and foremost of oneself, Respect for your peers and their honor, Respect for those in need of mercy, charity and protection. For without respect honor is but a sham and vain undertaking of ignorant juveniles at play. – The numerous duels perpetrated long after the decline of all other chivalric ideals comes to mind.  ;)

Sir Wolf:
i think respect is todays word for honor. or it should be. agreed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version