Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Honor

<< < (3/14) > >>

Sir Edward:

Well spoken everyone.

I see honor as being ready and able to tell right from wrong, at all times, and make the choice to do right. Not just when it is convenient or beneficial to yourself, but particularly when it is not. It's not just about reputation, but also what you do when no one knows or sees. It's holding yourself to a higher standard of being fair, just, and fighting against evil and injustice, large or small.

I had almost forgotten-- Sir Brian and I were talking on one of the last faire weekends about Saladin during the crusades. The leader of the Saracen forces, he was a man with an amazing sense of honor. I wish I could remember most of the historical examples, but it's been quite some time since I read about it. I think I need a refresher soon. :)

Sir William:
In reading Steven Runciman's the Third Crusade, dry as it was, there are direct references to Saladin, his wisdom, his sense of chivalry, but not much about the man.  Just from what I myself have read, Saladin was, quite possibly, the greatest man of his day, with whom honor and integrity were firmly ingrained.

He's on my research list as well...Runciman made no bones about some of the more barbarous acts of the Crusaders, and made mention that Saladin's camp did not respond in kind as far as cruelty went.

Sir Edward:

What's also interesting is that Saladin also found European knighthood to be fascinating, and wanted learn all about it and be knighted himself. I think someone did knight him eventually, though he certainly was well regarded as a chivalrous knight across Europe. Again, I forget the details.

Sir William:
It'd be good if you could dig that one up...do you find it hard to avoid romanticizing this or that one based on personal like/dislike?  I admit to that particular issue...if I see someone as a hero, they get all of the assorted positives that are normally associated with heroes, whether or not they directly apply is always something I have to think on later.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, apparently Saladin's virtues were exaggerated a bit during the Victorian era's medieval revival, just like the overall image of the "knight in shining armor". However, since there are a lot of historical records of his chivalric and honorable acts, as well as praise from his enemies in Europe, there's a lot of truth behind it.

But you're right, it's hard to separate out what it true and what isn't, when reputations take on a life of their own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version