Main > The Round Table

How "in shape" was the average knight or man at arms?

<< < (4/13) > >>

Sir William:
I'd imagine the younger knights being the more fit, seeing as they would've plied their trade more vigorously in search of land, titles and wealth; followed by the grizzled veterans who were still active- the 'fat old knight' I figure is the one in semi- or full retirement, enjoying the fruits of his labors (and those of his serfs, if applicable).  Still, that fat old knight will not have forgotten how to maintain his seat or how to use his sword...he'd still be a formidable opponent in my book.

Seeing as we live a good deal longer than our earlier counterparts, I'd consider a knight less than 60 years of age to still be hale and hearty, youthful even.  William the Marshal still led forces when he passed into his 70s, and that was over 800 years ago; what was exceptional for his time could have become the norm if we still lived medievally with regard to knightly pursuits.

For myself, I'm somewhat slower and less agile than I was in my 20s, but am a good deal stronger and more centered; my workout routines have changed over the years, from being upper body centric to a whole body ideal which is present in my current routines.  Seeing as my workouts were haphazard at best in my youth, I can understand why I see the strength and endurance gains I'm seeing now.  It used to be wearing a 35 lb harness (mail coif and hauberk) would wear me out in about 90 minutes, but this year, my first outing had me in a 3/4 harness weighing about 40lbs for over 4 hours and no subsequent joint or muscle aches of any kind.  Sweated alot, but I felt great!

Sir Edward:

Yes, I think by necessity, a lot of older knights would take on more organizational roles rather than front-line combat. Considering some of the writings of the time (such as Charny), there were probably many that started out very fit, but once they had a few achievements under their belt, they'd use their title and position and try to ride on these previous efforts without doing something new, and fall out of shape. Charny mentions this specifically, that a man who performs deeds currently is of more worth than someone whose deeds are well in the past and has allowed himself to languish. However he grants that such men may still be men of worth, just lower worth. (I'm saying "men" here but he usually explicitly mentions both knights and men at arms in this context).

Sir William:
And that would make sense as the veterans would have prior experience, so strategy and administration would be right up their alley- although I daresay not all of them led from the rear, so to speak.

As for men and their worth, that is the same attitude adopted by the current military- which makes sense.  I posit that men, while past their prime, have lost no worth- what they've lost in youth and agility, they've gained in cunning, tactics and experience.

I won't underestimate a man simply because he's got some grey in his beard, you know.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Paladin on 2010-09-14, 14:26:05 ---As for men and their worth, that is the same attitude adopted by the current military- which makes sense.  I posit that men, while past their prime, have lost no worth- what they've lost in youth and agility, they've gained in cunning, tactics and experience.

I won't underestimate a man simply because he's got some grey in his beard, you know.

--- End quote ---

Oh absolutely... and technique! A cleanly executed technique doesn't necessarily need a lot of strength. Speed, yes, but often youth try to make up for lack of technique with both speed and power. As you get older, often it's better to just do it right. :)

Sir Wolf:
206.2 from 220!
got my mile in at 10 min 22 sec on the treadmill. down from 12 min last week.
goal is 175-185

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version