Main > The Round Table

How "in shape" was the average knight or man at arms?

(1/13) > >>

Sir Wolf:
in movies you see old fat knights or man at arms or average joes, in reading old 12th century stories you read about guys going at battle for the entire day against just 1 opponent. how fit do you think the guys of the time were? did they lose it with age and gained wisdom? heehhe

Sir Edward:
I think much like today, you'd see a full spectrum. Someone who is out practicing and competing in tournaments all the time will be in better physical condition, but also probably has a higher chance of having persistent injuries (joints never fully recover, for instance). And there would certainly be older knights who rest on their laurels, so to speak.

I may have to go back and re-read Geffroi de Charny's Book of Knighthood. He ranks different kinds of knights and men at arms based on their worth, determined by what they do. And if I recall correctly, he specifically mentions disdain for those who have allowed themselves to get large in the middle, and start trying to hide it with tight garments. :)

Das Bill:
Well, we know about the types of conditioning they did. They threw heavy stones for sport, they practiced acrobatics (including walking on their hands), they wrestled, they rode horseback, and in general did a lot more just for fun than the average modern person ever even thinks about doing. That doesn't even get into the fact that they didn't sit at desks all day, didn't have television or the internet, and walked pretty much everywhere because they didn't have a choice.

Further, based on my research into the historical martial arts, the types of things the average fencer was expected to be able to do is pretty damn intense. I'm thinking they were pretty damn fit.

Sir Edward:
Very good points. I think if we were able to go back in time and visit them, they'd think we're all weaklings. :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2010-09-03, 14:05:18 ---Very good points. I think if we were able to go back in time and visit them, they'd think we're all weaklings. :)

--- End quote ---

That is undoubtedly true; then again depending on what type of job you do in our modern times will earn you the same consideration. Men that work day in and day out on the water front in the extreme heat and cold consider guys like me (management and office types) as weak and pampered by readily available AC/Heat and limited physical labor. ;)

I think another aspect to consider is the overall mental toughness of knights and men at arms to not only endure the all the physical hardships but also the pain without the relief of readily available pain medication, after all wine and spirits can only do so much!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version