Main > The Round Table

Spammers vs new members

<< < (6/8) > >>

Lord Tristin:
I am grateful for your acceptance of my desire to join the forum. I Look forward to learning form you all and sharing what I might know with you.

Rhydderch:
Ditto what Lord Tristan said....

B. Patricius:
+3 on what Lord Tristan said Sir Edward, thanks for seeing I'm not a bot.  And I believe ANY and ALL measures to get by bots are well worth it on the receiving end as a new member.  It just shows you (this forum, or others like it) really care about your forum and who posts here.  Also, the anti-bot things that I went through here were by far the most thorough I have ever been through.  I hope they're doing a good job.  I actually got a kick out of the "spinner" anti-bot test  :o had me a bit cross-eyed to begin with!

beyond that, Sir Edward, is there any way you can post up what anti-bot procedures those are, like what they're called and such.  I'm on another forum, for the Adrian Empire, that's just really kicked up, and they're getting spammed like crazy, by the worst of kinds to where I'm scared my two-year old sees an accidental thread I go to!  >:(  Any help with that would be greatly appreciated!

thanks again Sir Edward, this is a great community

Sir Edward:

They're just variations on a CAPTCHA. The spinners are part of a mod that I downloaded. But believe it or not, I think the most effective anti-spammer feature is the "20 questions" game. Just stupid little questions that require you to understand the sentence. I had added a version of that via a mod in the previous version of the forum software, and it cut out about 90% of the spammers. The newer forum software has that feature built in.

Between all of it, we only get a spammer through it once every few months.  The required email catches those.

B. Patricius:
Awesome.   :) Thank you for giving me that information Sir Edward.  Now, may I ask is it okay if I hyperlink to this topic thread in the new Adrian Empire forums?  I figure that may be the best way for them to see what's been done here, as I believe it's working rather well.

YIS
B. Patricius

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version