Main > The Round Table

Spammers vs new members

<< < (5/8) > >>

Sir William:
Spammers...why don't they just join and expand their little minds?

Sir Edward:

Well, I think it worked. I haven't seen a single bot sign up since adding those little questions.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-03-03, 04:06:33 ---
Well, I think it worked. I haven't seen a single bot sign up since adding those little questions.

--- End quote ---

I'm trying switching the forum back to self-activation for new members. That means they just have to click through on the email that the forum sends them to get activated. I still haven't had a single bot try to sign up since adding the sign-up questions, so we can give this a try again.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-03-29, 20:43:59 ---I'm trying switching the forum back to self-activation for new members. That means they just have to click through on the email that the forum sends them to get activated. I still haven't had a single bot try to sign up since adding the sign-up questions, so we can give this a try again.

--- End quote ---

.... and now we're making changes again. Apparently adding all these methods of verifying that it's a real person is starting to confuse people. The last two people to try to sign up haven't been able to complete the registration for some reason. It always works when I test it though.

So. I took out the "spin the pictures to be upright" thing, and am using a slightly weaker CAPTCHA that's easier to read. The "trivia" questions thing is still there. So until we see whether or not the spam-bots can figure this out, we're back to manual approval of new members.

Sir Edward:

...and now another spammer made it through. Wow. Making changes again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version