Main > The Round Table

My heraldry progress

<< < (3/13) > >>

Sir Edward:
Decal paper! Oh crap, now I need a color printer... :)

Well, I'm still tweaking the dragon design. Cleaned up some of the lines, adjusted some curves, stretched the wings back more, and shaped the head a little. Looks like I'm going for more of a modern fantasy dragon.

Showing both stages for comparison.

And this is a vector design, so I'll be able to scale it as much as I want and print it out to make stencils etc.

EDIT: Added another minor revision. Adjusted the back/collarbone area, raised the shoulder, tweaked the wings, smoothed the curvature of the tail loop.

Sir Brian:
Oh yeah! You are really getting it now. That looks great!

EDIT:

When you get the decal paper (and the color printer ;) ), make
sure you pickup some "SolvaSet" at practically any hobby shop.
It's about $3.00 for a 2oz bottle, which is far more than you'll
ever use. What it does is actually melt the decal into the surface
of what it is on.

I'll test it for you on a piece of metal that is painted with the same epoxy
paint to make sure it doesn't affect the epoxy finish. You will not be able
to tell it was ever a decal after this stuff does its thing. ;)

Sir Brian:
Well forget the "SolvaSet" stuff! It does not react well to the epoxy based paint.
Made the test decal look much worse than the decal by itself.  :-\

Your shield btw, only needs the blue field added and will be done. I'll probably be
able to ship it back to you by this weekend.

One thing I noticed though is the location of the bolts securing the hand strap is
dead center of the white field. You will have a bothersome time I'm afraid of getting
your dragon charge stenciled on that. I highly recommend you use that cream based
paint I told you about in one of my old e-mails. Since it takes a good 24 hours for that
particular paint to set it will be forgiving enough to wipe clean off if you mess up the first
couple of times. To clean the stenciling paint off from the epoxy based shield paint, do
NOT use anything stronger than rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits. Thinners could dull the
epoxy finish.  ;)

Sir Edward:
OK, that's good to know, I'll keep the thinners in mind. Yeah, working around those bolts will be interesting. Worst case scenario is that I paint right over them and put up with it. But I'll play with the positioning a bit.

Thanks again for helping out with the shield! I can't wait to see it.

Sir Brian:
Well here is a sneak preview of an Ailette. I hope it won't spoil your grand
unveiling later when you post pictures of the finished shield and Ailettes. :-\

Is the shade of blue okay?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version