Main > The Round Table

My heraldry progress

<< < (4/13) > >>

Sir Edward:
Sweet, that's really nicely done. Generally I go for deeper blues, but it'll certainly work! I just don't like "in your face" bright colors, so it's looking great.

I just realized, the ailettes will be really handy for taking to the store to match up paint colors for the shield. :)

Oh, speaking of deep blues, this is the sort of color I'll have on my custom sword when it's done:  http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Custom_Sword_Gallery/Pages/AT-1501.html#0 (this is the one from Christian Fletcher's site that I used as a reference when placing my order)

Thankfully the dragon design is coming along... but I just realized... I need to make a sword template too. Crap. :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-04, 20:09:22 ---Thankfully the dragon design is coming along... but I just realized... I need to make a sword template too. Crap. :)

--- End quote ---
uh oh! Man I really hate to add more to you...but you have to do the ankh as well!  ;)

If that blue isn't deep enough for your needs, you can paint on top of the epoxy. It doesn't
matter if its acrylic, enamel...It works on that stuff. You should go for at least a semi-gloss
finish so it matches the same reflective aspects of the black and white. The painter recommends
using a flat finish on the charges for the contrast. The pictures kind of shows this a little. Notice
that even though the charges are done in a flat finish, they contrast well upon the gloss finish of
the shield itself.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2008-03-04, 20:46:24 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-04, 20:09:22 ---Thankfully the dragon design is coming along... but I just realized... I need to make a sword template too. Crap. :)

--- End quote ---
uh oh! Man I really hate to add more to you...but you have to do the ankh as well!  ;)

--- End quote ---

Actually I'm not worried about the ankh. I have a graphic that I can scale up well enough that it should work, and if not, I can trace the one I have on wooden book cover which is about the right size for the shield.

I know what you mean about the contrast. I'll see how it all looks when it gets here; you're right, I could paint over the blue. I'm thinking that once I have the charges painted on, I might go over the whole thing with a clear coat, which has the unfortunate side effect of giving everything the same sheen. But I think acrylic paints and the like will need the extra protective layer.

Man, those pictures are awesome. We're gonna knock em dead even more this year.

Sir Brian:
A trick I learned with sealing my charges after I painted them was to put the stencil back
on and tape paper all around it so when I sprayed the sealer over the acrylic paint of the
charge I didn't dull the epoxy finish.  :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2008-03-03, 16:43:04 ---

--- End quote ---

I think I'm starting to get satisfied with it. I made more tweaks, and it's looking really good. Any suggestions for further improvements?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version