Main > The Round Table

Historical Accuracy of a 14th plate gorget?

<< < (7/13) > >>

Sir William:
Sir Brian's picture kind of lends some credence to the idea of a gorget being worn; I know in effigies I've looked at, I've always noticed how the neck area seemed overly thick and large...I'm thinking of the Black Prince's effigy at the moment; maybe it is artistic license but it could just as well been some form of armament at the neck.

Sir Edward:

Yeah, it's hard to say... it could also just be the way the mail hangs down straight from the head instead of conforming to the neck.

Sir William:
That's probably it.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---UPDATE:
Ok I think I remember the book title: A knight and his armor by Ewart Oakeshott, I placed it back on hold and should be able to pick it up on my way home this afternoon
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2010-09-17, 13:44:09 ---pg 26 the writing covers from 13th to 16th century and has the word gorget in there. now we know they are in 15th and 16 centurys but are they in the 13th just from this writing? heehhe.

also have to look at the context and the changing of meanings. is a gorget a heavily padded piece around the neck? what we call a mail aventail off a helmet? a mail standard with or without padding? a neck guard that is attached or un attached to the bottom of some bassinets as seen in funeral effigies? it's a tuff call.

--- End quote ---

Ok I checked that part as well and that isn’t the book I have the vague recollection that mentioned a ledger of purchased equipment for an upcoming campaign. – I remember it was a document dated to the mid to late 13c and listed 3000 gorgets purchased along with other arms and equipment for the King of France.
*sigh* getting old sucks!  :(

Sir William:
Who's getting old?  I'm getting BETTER w/time.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version