Main > The Round Table

Historical Accuracy of a 14th plate gorget?

<< < (6/13) > >>

Sir Brian:
Ah but I remember in one particular book that referenced a ledger where the King of France back in the 1200's purchased 3000 gorgets for an upcoming campaign...I just have to remember the book!  :-[

I thought it was in my copy of "The Medieval Soldier" by Vesey Norman but it must have been in another book I signed out of the public library...which means I have to go through my previous checkout listings to find it, but I HAVE to now!  ;)

UPDATE:
Ok I think I remember the book title: A knight and his armor by Ewart Oakeshott, I placed it back on hold and should be able to pick it up on my way home this afternoon...(I don't think it's been checked out since the last time I returned it over a year ago!) ;)

Sir Wolf:
i have this book and will be looking at it today

Sir Wolf:
pg 26 the writing covers from 13th to 16th century and has the word gorget in there. now we know they are in 15th and 16 centurys but are they in the 13th just from this writing? heehhe.

also have to look at the context and the changing of meanings. is a gorget a heavily padded piece around the neck? what we call a mail aventail off a helmet? a mail standard with or without padding? a neck guard that is attached or un attached to the bottom of some bassinets as seen in funeral effigies? it's a tuff call.

Sir Brian:
Lol I'm just happy I remembered the right book which vaguely mentions the word gorget...at my age
that is always a positive!  :D

Sir Edward:
One of the threads on myarmoury mentioned a padded collar sort of thing. That's a possibility, perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version