Main > The Round Table

"Order of the Marshal" in Latin?

<< < (4/10) > >>

Sir William:
That was very cool; my daughter took Latin in school and I meant to learn it so we could converse but I never got around to it.  Beautiful language...and I like that it doesn't use all of the qualifiers we use now (the, and, of, etc).

Lord Dane:
I guess I know who wants to be the Order scribe. LOL

Sir Rodney:
Nicely done!   8)

I’m curious; does the Latin "nervus" have any relation to the English "nervous"?  If so, I’ll never be nervous again!   :D

Mike W.:
Yes as a matter of fact.

Nervus is a word with multiple meanings (as many words in Latin are). First and foremost, it means muscle, sinew, nerve, tendon i.e. the stuff under your skin. The English word nervous originally meant "affecting the nerves, muscle, sinew, etc."

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2015-01-16, 20:53:12 ---Yes as a matter of fact.

Nervus is a word with multiple meanings (as many words in Latin are). First and foremost, it means muscle, sinew, nerve, tendon i.e. the stuff under your skin. The English word nervous originally meant "affecting the nerves, muscle, sinew, etc."

--- End quote ---

I really hope you are striving to become a teacher someday because WOW you are a bank of knowledge my friend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version