"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: On the closed gambesson and drying.  (Read 4029 times)

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
On the closed gambesson and drying.
« on: 2014-09-25, 09:36:59 »
So I've landed on my kit, or, well, the first one. It's England 1341, and what seems to be the arming garment worn underneath is supposedly a nearly knee length gambesson/aketon with front-slit (and back-slit if I assume I'm mounted), however, the chest is closed. There are a few sources to support this (foremost the monk/pilgrim being armed by a saintly figure, I cannot remember where it is from, nor do I have it) and it's a simple enough construction to get out of my awful synthetically padded gambesson.

It also provides me with a nice but-and-hips protection as well as some extra padding over my thighs (padded cuises for now), all in all, it's an absolutely great construction.

However.

Being closed, I wonder if I will burn in it, since it's not something I can undo swiftly to air out my torso after an intense period of fighting.

Also, how does it dry? Linnen shell and two layers of military wool-blanket. Will it ever air dry? Remember, I cannot open it to increase airflow and let moisture out.
Shiny.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: On the closed gambesson and drying.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-25, 13:32:37 »
Drying will be an issue.  Even with all natural fibers, after a day of wearing your harness that thing will be soaked, and it will not dry out quickly.  I would think the best advice would be to hang it by the fire and hope for the best, but even then it is unlikely it will be dry by morning if you hang it overnight.

My arming doublet opens, is one outside layer of canvas weight linen, two layers of cotton batting, and one layer of medium weight linen and it doesn't dry out overnight.  At the upcoming Days of Knights I fully expect to put on a cold and damp arming doublet the morning after the first day of wear.

Oh, and Henrik I know we talked before in a different venue about the future of your kit.  The type of gambeson you're looking at and the vision for your future kit are two very different things.  If you're looking at eventually going to a plate harness you will need a different style arming garment, so just keep that in mind if you're trying to maximize versatility.  That being said I think you're well on your way to an awesome 1341 kit!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-25, 15:34:46 »
Oh I am absolutely aware and a late century arming cotte either in the style of the CDB pourpoint or something slightly later will be in the works. It will also be thinner. This one will solely be for the 1341 kit and if ever you see me in it with later items on top, that will be a panicked solution for a larp rather than anything even remotely medieval ;)

There are some reasons I'm going with this earlier style first, one being cost, another being time to make (or money to acuire). Had I had a higher income, I would undoubtedly had gone straight for late.

There's also the fact that I'm looking to put together a kit that, straight out the door would be at home in the Combat of the Thirty deed at Pennsic, even if they do allow later kits in there.

But have no worries.

There will be a proper plate with an even more proper arming garment, built from the inside and out, and it will be glorious.
Shiny.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-26, 02:24:22 »
Mine is a pull over closed gambeson and I washed it recently and it dried out fine. Hell it's a bit more rough and less soft since, which I prefer cause it comes off more as a part of armor with that.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-26, 03:14:26 »
I find that my bascinet (with aventail and liner) is my single greatest heat trap.  After several hours of SCA rattan fighting, removing the bascinet and coat of plates feels wonderful!  I usually pour cold-ish water (not ice water) down the front and back of my arming coat which feels great and assists pulling the heat out of my core.

As stated previously, it will not dry completely (unless you’re in Arizona).  Hanging it on a clothes line in the direct sun back at camp will get it somewhat dry.  This has the added advantage of naturally controlling some of the armour funk as well.   :o
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-26, 17:18:48 »
At the upcoming Days of Knights I fully expect to put on a cold and damp arming doublet the morning after the first day of wear.

Oh gosh. This. Very much this. The only thing that makes it feel better for me is getting hot sweat mixed in with the cold sweat, and I feel slightly less icky. And that's with a two-layer linen arming coat and no padding at all, turned inside-out, and hung to dry.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-27, 00:32:23 »
Like Lord Rodney said, we don't have any problems like this in Arizona. Most of the year putting your garment out in the breeze for a couple hours (day or night - it rarely goes below 80 degrees overnight and in summer it won't go below 100) will make it dry even if you just pulled it from a washing machine. If you want to experience the full Crusader experience, wear full gear in August in Phoenix.