"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: All Best Stuff mail  (Read 12136 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
All Best Stuff mail
« on: 2014-09-24, 19:47:29 »
Did a custom order from Nitin at All Best Stuff. Similar to what they have in stock, but I wanted slightly longer sleeves and a slightly longer hem (darn you, Oreos!). They did the sleeve taper for me too. He set it up as a custom item, and I paid for it. Cool, great communication so far. It's a couple weeks until Days of Knights, and I just paid for this, so chances are I won't get it in time. It was a last ditch effort to have a set of 6mm mail (fauld and voiders) in time for Days of Knights.

I ordered sleeves from IceFalcon back in Feb/Mar that still haven't arrived and are now scheduled for October (although he was told August and it kept getting pushed back). No complaints, he had a discount on in-stock items and I ordered loose rings/rivets, sleeves, a standard, and a fauld. He shipped the rings/rivets, standard and fauld right away. I knew the sleeves weren't in stock, but he still gave me the discount on them anyway, and only charged half down. He's fantastic at customer service, and the delay on the sleeves is in no way his fault at all, it's his supplier.

Now, Nitin sent an email today at 10:30 that said the package has been sent (I assume from India) and with a tracking number. It's 3:30 pm, and I just got time to check my email. I thought, well, it probably won't be in the tracking system yet, but let me check and see if it maybe has an estimated delivery date so I can arrange to be home when it arrives, or at least make sure somebody gets it for me if it's going to come when I'm at DoK.

What?? ??? Lo and behold, a box with that familiar smell of new mail.  :o

No joke. I think they have some sort of teleportation wizards working there or something. I ordered it on September 17th and they built it and I have it in my hands one week later. I'm not going to be a tease and post a picture of the unopened box...
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: All Best Stuff mail
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-25, 02:50:56 »
You are a very naughty Knight indeed, Sir James.  Show us a picture of the unopened box at least…
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-25, 17:11:56 »
I'm afraid to ask, what are their shipping rates?
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-26, 21:41:27 »

It was $85. It's high, but not bad overall, considering the lower price of the item.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-26, 23:29:27 »

It was $85. It's high, but not bad overall, considering the lower price of the item.
My Hauberk was 90. So I guess weight isn't the issue when shipping.
My hauberk took 3 weeks for them to make, but the shipping took about 3 days, if my memory serves me correctly.
you saw my hauberk at fairy festival, but how do you feel about the quality of your Mail?
« Last Edit: 2014-09-26, 23:30:43 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-27, 00:19:19 »
If one of you guys who owns some of this could post a full critical review that would be great. Plus some pics of the whole item and a couple close up shots of the rings would too. That would help people decide if this is the right stuff for them when shopping cause that's what we always want to know.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-27, 07:40:19 »
I've handled and worn this maille before. I tried Elliot's hauberk on and it's heavier than the stuff I got, he has the round riveted with alternating flat punched rings. All of the punched rings face the same way and it looks to be higher quality than the wedge riveted. Honestly I would trust the maille to stop a sharpened weapon, unlike the icefalcon or GDFB stuff which seems a bit too flattened. I had a sample of it but I seem to of lost it...

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-27, 11:05:43 »
A review would be great, I just noticed the blackened ABS Round riveted w flat punched myself and it's actually on an affordable budget. Of course I'm imagining shipping to Sweden to be insane, but it will still be cheaper than any riveted mail I can get in Sweden.

Now, I currently have a blackened, flattened and riveted aventail on my helmet. Would people suggest I get a blackened hauberk to go with it or should I get a non-blackened hauberk and replace the aventail to match?
Shiny.

Frater deTyr

• New Forum Member
    • The Noble Company and Order of Saint Maurice
« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-27, 14:44:49 »
One of my people, Kyle Timms by name, ordered custom-made hauberk with attached coif and ventail, as well as mailled chausses with feet.  He specifically requested certain measurements (even going so far as to give the measurements in both Standard and Metric).  There were some delays, but the maille arrived last week (in plenty of time for DoK).  Now, for the bad news:

• The ventail is of the 11th century style (attached the the chest and tied like a bib.  It is too long and insufficiently wide enough to cover the face.
  • With the ventail tied up, it is impossible for Kyle to turn his head from left to right, or to raise his head.
  • The sleeves are way too long---he can't put his hands into the mittens without help.
  • The chausses were a long, straight tube (rather than tapering), making them too baggy

Kyle has since had his chausses tailored to fit correctly by Ryan Andrew McDaniles of "The Saxons' Pocket".  Once Kyle returns from DoK, he'll have the hauberk adjusted by Ryan as well.  This is not a negative review of Nitin of All Best Stuff or his quality---just a heads-up regarding what issue may arise from ordering maille long-distance.

[/font][/size]
[/b]
Robert L. Coleman, Jr
Also known as Fra Robert deTyr

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #9 on: 2014-09-27, 19:02:27 »
A review would be great, I just noticed the blackened ABS Round riveted w flat punched myself and it's actually on an affordable budget. Of course I'm imagining shipping to Sweden to be insane, but it will still be cheaper than any riveted mail I can get in Sweden.

Now, I currently have a blackened, flattened and riveted aventail on my helmet. Would people suggest I get a blackened hauberk to go with it or should I get a non-blackened hauberk and replace the aventail to match?

Blackened maille is historical. It was done by baking the iron with linseed oil or some such thing to inhibit (but not prevent) rust. But after a lot of wear, the black mostly comes off leaving it a nice gunmetal grey color.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2014-09-28, 14:00:01 »
no pictures? thats it, you get your pee pee smacked with a boken.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-09-29, 20:57:09 »
Here Is the review I did of my hauberk from all best stuff. I will definitely post pictures of the rings later.
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3200.0.html
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #12 on: 2014-09-30, 07:09:00 »
Whatsort of rings is your Hauberk constructed from Sir Naythan?
Shiny.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2014-09-30, 17:23:18 »
We need pics, Sir James, of you in it!  I got mine a couple of months ago only to find that I was bigger than when I took the measurements initially.  In short, I don't know what it'll look like on me til I lose the required weight.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-10-01, 02:56:37 »
Whatsort of rings is your Hauberk constructed from Sir Naythan?
Mild Steel. 9mm(Though it seems more like 8mm) Round ring, domed riveted. 16g.
Sadly I will have to postpone pics.
(Tech trouble)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order