"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Need advice and suggestions on gauntlets, Gruber and other people.  (Read 13435 times)

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
I'm currently on the fence of just what gauntlets I both want and dare slip my fingers in to fight SCA heavy combat in, and I'm in absolute love with what John Gruber is offering. The one thing stopping me (appart from anxiety about my wallet) is that I have a hard time finding accounts of his gauntlets and what they are like. I trust the man to do amazing work, that is not the problem, but when compared to the mythos of Grettir T Slow which has spread far and wide, I simply haven't heard anything about Gruber's gauntlets and that has me uncertain.

Does any one have any experience or know somebody with experience on Gruber's gauntlets?

Now, as a student, 1300USD for a pair of gauntlets is a bit on the steep side (but then again, writer, hands, good gauntlets ARE required), but I'm loving the closeness he has to 14th century finger gauntlets in his mittens and I simply can't find any similar (but cheaper) options. There are some fingermittens on the market, but they're all pretty much made from several small lames, giving them a completely different look than that of long finger lames and small knuckle lames. Is there a similar look out there? Or a custom blacksmith that you trust and would throw me at?

Basically, I'm in love with a pair of gauntlets, but I'm uncertain if it is a good love or a bad love. Is there a cousin out there I could date for a while whilst I gather up the capital to be entirely certain in my decision? Or is it a really, really great gauntlet and I should just go straight to marriage?

Regards.
Henrik.
Shiny.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Do you have a link to his work? Details on materials? Pics?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
John Gruber is the armorer at the Surly Anvil right?

Here Thorsteinn:

http://www.surlyanvil.com/
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Bernarr

• Forum Member
You may want to give Alexander a shot. I was looking for wisby's in spring steel. Everyone I found in the US was charging $800+ for mild steel, he did em for I think $450 or 500 total, shipping included and in spring steel. He seems to like to do new things, so you may want to ask him how much he would charge for something similar-
http://jollyknight.com.ua/armoury/index.php

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
Gruber is indeed the armourer of Surly Anvil and his mittens are simply outstanding.

https://db.tt/0NtA7PpT

I'm wary of ordering from Jolly Knight at the moment since Ukraine is at full on war with Russia.
Shiny.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
I hung out with Gruber and Grettir this summer at an armor session and they are both fantastic.

Grettir has his design figured out and sews in high quality gloves into his mittens.

Gruber is much more flexible about customizing the design to fit any specific needs you have and generally blackens his work instead of polishing it.

Both do excellent work and for sca heavy you can feel safe in both!

Basically if you like Grettirs design and finish options get his... If you want something more custom get em from John at the Surly Anvil!

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Those are pretty gauntlets.  For mittens they still have the aesthetic of finger gauntlets.  Too many other armorers do 'finger mittens' poorly, and they really just look like mittens.
My Pinterest

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Yeah I've seen his work. I rather like the Bifurcated Gauntlets.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Does any one have any experience or know somebody with experience on Gruber's gauntlets?

I don't have experience with his gauntlets, but I've had some conversations with him over the last year. I was going to go intern with him later this year, but I had a huge bill that sapped my finances, and I'm taking time off work for Days of Knights, so lack of time and money means not going to happen (this year).

He's been doing SCA combat since, if I remember right, the late 80s / early 90s. I think he's still doing it? Regardless, he'd know what it takes to build a set of SCA capable gauntlets. He's easy to talk to and work with. I just put a downpayment on a cuirass with him last week, no complaints at all and looking forward to working with him more. I'd say at the very least, talk with him about what you want specifically, before making a final decision.

I'm wary of ordering from Jolly Knight at the moment since Ukraine is at full on war with Russia.

Without getting too deep into details, the Ukraine is a pretty big place. It's a bit smaller than Texas. The armorers I've seen over there posting about the civil unrest (war?) aren't in the midst of it and are in a relatively safe place and are still able to work as usual.

It's probably fine. I bought something from the Ukraine last week; hopefully it'll show up. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran

Without getting too deep into details, the Ukraine is a pretty big place. It's a bit smaller than Texas. The armorers I've seen over there posting about the civil unrest (war?) aren't in the midst of it and are in a relatively safe place and are still able to work as usual.

It's probably fine. I bought something from the Ukraine last week; hopefully it'll show up. :D

Yeah definitely this.

The unrest in Ukraine is very much restricted to a small portion of Ukraine on the eastern border.  I've ordered from and received orders from the Ukraine in the last few months, the most recent being last month.
My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
i had some gruber work a long time ago if i'm thinking right. good stuff

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
Thank you all.
I've sent an email to Jolly and we'll see what he responds.

I'm pretty much caught between my wallet and my heart right now. "Buy nice, never twice" has been a motto for me and I do like to get myself very nice things, but the rationalist in me says "Calm down man, just get a pair of randoms. You can always upgrade later"
Shiny.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Yeah. I bought my helmet from a lesser known armorer in Ukraine and shipping has been horrible. Two other people HAVE gotten their orders recently so hope mine shows up soon.

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
So I got a reply from Jolly and I'd be looking at 600usd for similar gauntlets, that's half.
Do I listen to my heart or my wallet? If I go for cheaper gauntlets I'll have a nicer kit sooner.
Fudge. It's hard to decide.

Bernar, do you have a picture of your gauntlets?
Shiny.

Bernarr

• Forum Member
I surely do! He did a beautiful job, I posted up all the progress pics he sent me-
http://www.vaevictis.co/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=14th_Century/WisbyGauntlets&tn=1

When I'm ready for more pieces, he's definitely my first choice. He did them from a picture of the gaunts and a picture of my hand with a ruler, and they fit perfectly
« Last Edit: 2014-09-17, 21:06:29 by Bernarr »