"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: MN Wolf Center - Viking Helmet Die Error?  (Read 5961 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
MN Wolf Center - Viking Helmet Die Error?
« on: 2014-07-21, 03:55:47 »
A recent visit to the International Wolf Center in Ely Minnesota brought two of my greatest interests together, and left me a bit puzzled.

In an exhibit hall dedicated to mankind’s shifting view of wolves through the ages, photographs of bronze matrix stamps from Sweden grabbed my attention.  These stamps are basically dies which were used to make copper helmet decorations similar to the famous Vendel helmet.  The Wolf Center description of one particular stamp reads:

The top plates show berserkers battling two bears at a time (left) and dressed in wolf helmets (right).

The source of my puzzlement is this, I clearly see boar decorations on the helmets of the warriors, not wolves.  Am I seeing this correctly?  Does anyone else see what I see?

The plates are located in the Statens Historiska Museer, Stockholm, Sweden. The plate in question can be better viewed here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/historiska/6915493263/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: 2014-07-21, 03:56:59 by Lord Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: MN Wolf Center - Viking Helmet Die Error?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-21, 16:27:11 »
The tusks, if that's what I'm seeing, definitely says wild boar to me.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-21, 18:43:22 »
Those look like boar to me. They also don't look like they're wearing the clothing to make them ĂšlfheĂ°inn.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-23, 06:21:15 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Vincent

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-21, 18:57:35 »
Definitely looks like tusks to me as well. Combining that with the curl of the tail and what appears to me to be that hair 'crest' that starts behind the ears is what finishes it for me.

It would be one thing if the tusks were more towards the front of the mouth, I could see it potentially then as well, but that distinct curve placed thusly in the mouth seems very...boar-like.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-22, 16:14:40 »
Top picture, lower left plate:  figure on the right is walking on two legs, carrying a spear, and appears to have a wolfy looking head. Is that who they meant? Berserkers would have crested their helmets with the head of a beast and draped the rest of the pelt over their shoulders, tying the arms around their neck.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-23, 04:37:31 »
I didn’t include the full narrative, but they (MN Wolf Center) are stating the top right plate shows “berserkers … dressed in wolf helmets”.

As Vincent noted, several clues are driving my determination of boar helmet crests.  Namely: the curved tusk near the rear of the mouth, curly boar-like tail, the crest of short hairs starting at the shoulders, short & powerful legs, and a pig-like snout.

I understand the artist(s) who created these dies are not trying to be anatomically correct, just look at the depiction of “bears” in the top left plate.  That being said, the plate in question sure depicts boar crested helmets to me.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-23, 16:53:41 »
I could kind of see how they could be mistaken for wolves at a glance, but they look like piggies to me, too.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-24, 02:33:02 »
Those look like boar to me. They also don't look like they're wearing the clothing to make them ĂšlfheĂ°inn.

The Wikipedia entry on ĂšlfheĂ°inn is very interesting.  They show one of the same plates (MN Wolf Center bottom left) and describe it thus:

In addition, the helm-plate press from Torslunda depicts a scene of Odin with a berserker—"a wolf skinned warrior with the apparently one-eyed dancer in the bird-horned helm, which is generally interpreted as showing a scene indicative of a relationship between berserkgang... and the god Odin"—with a wolf pelt and a spear as distinguishing features.

Which leads me to believe that the MN Wolf Center simply referenced the wrong plate in their display altogether.    ::)

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-24, 11:54:26 »
They might look like piggies but do they taste like piggies ... Get me a fork.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-24, 20:45:25 »
Tusks and the dorsal fur on the back.
Definitely a boar.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"