"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: GOT: Is the show making swords look heavy?  (Read 5400 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
GOT: Is the show making swords look heavy?
« on: 2014-06-30, 20:11:47 »
I noticed this only after someone I was talking to Thought swords were Heavy, because of Game of thrones. And when I was watching fight scenes, I noticed that everyone with a sword seems to have to put alot of effort into swinging the sword around. Now this raises 3 questions.
1. Are the swords that they are using actually heavy?
2. or Are the Fight coordinators telling them to fight this way and make the swords look heavy?
3. why would they purposely want the swords to look heavy?
(Now I would post videos, or say names of certain fights, but that would probably contain too many spoilers)
« Last Edit: 2014-07-26, 20:56:30 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I don't know that I agree with your premise. 

There are only two swords in Game of Thrones that are intentionally depicted as heavy that I can think of off the top of my head.  The first being Ice (Ned Stark's old sword), which was largely a ceremonial sword and used for executions, not really a war sword.  The other is the Mountain's sword.  But the Mountain is supposed to be using a massive sword because, well... he's the Mountain.

All the other sword fighters in the show, Brienne, Jaime, Syrio Forel, Bronn, The Hound, Arya, Jon Snow etc all seem to handle their swords pretty deftly.

Sometimes if the actors are not that skilled with technique something may seem awkward and therefore might be interpreted as the sword is heavy, but I think they do a decent job.  They're not using Liechtenauer and Fiore to a tee, but I've seen much worse swordplay on screen.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Could be what you see as heavy is supposed to be tired out from fighting  :-\. I'll tell from experience, even sport fencing can tucker you out pretty quickly.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
I don't know that I agree with your premise. 

There are only two swords in Game of Thrones that are intentionally depicted as heavy that I can think of off the top of my head.  The first being Ice (Ned Stark's old sword), which was largely a ceremonial sword and used for executions, not really a war sword.  The other is the Mountain's sword.  But the Mountain is supposed to be using a massive sword because, well... he's the Mountain.

All the other sword fighters in the show, Brienne, Jaime, Syrio Forel, Bronn, The Hound, Arya, Jon Snow etc all seem to handle their swords pretty deftly.

Sometimes if the actors are not that skilled with technique something may seem awkward and therefore might be interpreted as the sword is heavy, but I think they do a decent job.  They're not using Liechtenauer and Fiore to a tee, but I've seen much worse swordplay on screen.
Ya I was thinking of the hound, But I suppose that makes sense, since im sure many of the actors are no skilled swordsman. Plus the armor they are wearing is probably still heavy.
But if the proportions where right on the character that played the mountain the sword should still be light in his hands ;)

Could be what you see as heavy is supposed to be tired out from fighting  :-\. I'll tell from experience, even sport fencing can tucker you out pretty quickly.
That's also a possibility.
but Ive also only watched a bit of the show so I haven't seen other characters wield swords in combat.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Well, I've now watched all of season 1 and find there to be no problem with the sword swinging. But I suppose there is still a problem if some people are actually watching much of the show(since I before had only watched some) and they are getting the impression swords are heavy.
Maybe it isn't the show Per say but just the fact that people think that in the first place.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Maybe it isn't the show Per say but just the fact that people think that in the first place.

I think you've discovered what's really going on :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Don't forget, fights tell stories, the story of The Mountain should stay consistent. Halfthor is a fast co-ordinated man, but he is younger & more athletically gifted than his predecessors in the role. They probably didn't want there to be inconsistency in the role.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte

I think you've discovered what's really going on :)

Yes perhaps I should share this theory with the world ;)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Don't forget, fights tell stories, the story of The Mountain should stay consistent. Halfthor is a fast co-ordinated man, but he is younger & more athletically gifted than his predecessors in the role. They probably didn't want there to be inconsistency in the role.
Thats a good point. The mountains armor does also make him slower. Although his sword is giant. He is also giant, if it is proportioned properly that sword should be easier to wield.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order