Main > The Round Table

Let's Discuss Honor, Pt 2 (Real Tourney Example).

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir Martyn:
My own view is this should depend on the fight - agree that is in part the point of the duel, but if you feel honor dictates as a sign of respect for a particularly worthy opponent or memorable fight, it could be a nice gesture of respect.

Sir William:
I wouldn't give up the advantage.  You worked to get it, you should keep it.

Sir Douglas:
I agree that I think it should depend on the particular fight/combatants involved. If they really feel they need to do it like that and agree on it beforehand, then fine. Otherwise, it seems kind of silly to give up a legitimately earned advantage.

Sir William:
Not to mention, the SCA is a re-enacting society- as such, I would think they would seek to reenact all aspects, or as many aspects of medieval practices as possible.  I cannot recall ever reading how one or the other combatant gave up an advantage outside of fictional works.  I know they aren't fighting to the death, but aren't they supposed to behave as if?

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-06-19, 16:57:44 ---...the SCA is a re-enacting society- as such, I would think they would seek to reenact all aspects, or as many aspects of medieval practices as possible...

--- End quote ---

That's a hell of an assumption if you've never been to an SCA event. ;)

As far as this scenario goes, no I don't think you should give up your earned advantage.  I don't think it makes you more honorable to immediately give up what you've just earned especially when it falls inside their rules of a chivalric martial art.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version