"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Things to come before Fall and things I still need help with  (Read 10730 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
I am currently Making a list of things and where I am purchasing them, Of Items I am getting this summer.
first: A Topfhelm from KOA
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0359&name=Crusader+Flat+Top+Helm
Second: A new Gambeson
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNMC7108E&name=13th+Century+Gambeson+-+Natural+
Third: Just Clothes, but I am not really sure Where to get accurate Early 13th century apparel, and I am absolutely awful at hand making things.
I also need chausses  If I could get any help with that, that would be fantastic!

And hopefully Ill be able to get an Albion this season as well. But I have been very unsuccessful with finding a sword site, that is between hanwei and say Albion, Price wise and quality wise. 
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Try http://www.valiant-armory.com - they're primarily Angus Trim-designed blades with fittings manufactured by the VA guys; they're midway between Albion and Hanwei in terms of fit, finish and pricing.  They generally come complete with scabbard and suspension rig/belt system so all you need do is put it on.

As for the apparel, I should tell you- as with most things in our little hobby, you get what you pay for.  Go on the cheap and you'll most likely get cheap wares that'll need to be replaced sooner than you'd think; I know its hard, at least it is for me, to be patient and save for what you want but you're better served by doing so on the long term.  Just some advice.

For 13th C clothing, I've been doing my shopping at http://www.historicenterprises.com - they've got a selection for just 13th C men's clothing.  It is a decent place to start, if off the rack stuff can fit you.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Try http://www.valiant-armory.com - they're primarily Angus Trim-designed blades with fittings manufactured by the VA guys; they're midway between Albion and Hanwei in terms of fit, finish and pricing, but on par with the Hanwei/Tinker offerings, with one big exception.  The VA offerings generally come complete with a wood-cored, leather covered scabbard and suspension rig/belt system so all you need do is put it on, unlike most who only offer a scabbard (Windlass, H/T) of variable quality.

As for the apparel, I should tell you- as with most things in our little hobby, you get what you pay for.  Go on the cheap and you'll most likely get cheap wares that'll need to be replaced sooner than you'd think; I know its hard, at least it is for me, to be patient and save for what you want but you're better served by doing so on the long term.  Just some advice.

For 13th C clothing, I've been doing my shopping at http://www.historicenterprises.com - they've got a selection for just 13th C men's clothing.  It is a decent place to start, if off the rack stuff can fit you.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
thank you
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Nate. I have a Valiant Armoury sword I am selling with matching dagger in their original leather scabbards. I will post pics if you like to look. However they are sharpened so your parents must buy them for you due to state law (under 18). You have to keep the blades oiled. They will rust. The sword was called "Valiant" it is one of their discontinued designs but it is a hand and a half arming sword. Was one of my 1st blades.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
Nate. I have a Valiant Armoury sword I am selling with matching dagger in their original leather scabbards. I will post pics if you like to look. However they are sharpened so your parents must buy them for you due to state law (under 18). You have to keep the blades oiled. They will rust. The sword was called "Valiant" it is one of their discontinued designs but it is a hand and a half arming sword. Was one of my 1st blades.

What time period would it fall under? I am having trouble finding mid to late 14th century type blade on their site...to be fair I am not that knowledgable about swords...

I like their prices and that a scabbard comes with it...

How do they compare vs Albion? How about Baltimore Knife & Sword?

I do like the XII Castile Blade for Valiant and according to Albions website XII is 13th and 14th century...maybe that is something I should look into buying...

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.

What time period would it fall under? I am having trouble finding mid to late 14th century type blade on their site...to be fair I am not that knowledgable about swords...

I like their prices and that a scabbard comes with it...

How do they compare vs Albion? How about Baltimore Knife & Sword?

I do like the XII Castile Blade for Valiant and according to Albions website XII is 13th and 14th century...maybe that is something I should look into buying...

If you are going for a 14th century Spanish persona or look, the Castile is a good match for you. Valiant Armoury blades are a good mix between reasonable price, time period authentic, and quality. My Valiant is a late 14th-early 15th century replica I would imagine.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

My last impression of BKS swords is that they were on the heavy, overbuilt side of things (like most renfaire sword makers, such as Badger or Starfire). But it's been years since I've seen their offerings in person, since they're no longer at MDRF.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower

My last impression of BKS swords is that they were on the heavy, overbuilt side of things (like most renfaire sword makers, such as Badger or Starfire). But it's been years since I've seen their offerings in person, since they're no longer at MDRF.

They are the people who make the Battle of Nations/IMCF weapons so maybe they are more blunt weapons on destruction...I do want their flanged mace for when I do move up to ACL combat :)

Thanks for the responses...maybe VA Castile is a good weapon to aim for at the 450 range with a scabbard as opposed to the Albion squire XII that is 473 without a scabbard...or would you say that level of Albion still out ranks the VA Castile?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Albion Squire line is still better than 99% of other sword makers, with the exception of custom and production Arms and Armour products.  The squire line is no less a sword in the historical and functional sense (including details like distal taper not present on the cheaper makers), they just don't have the frills of the next gen line.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
Re: Things to come before Fall and things I still need help with
« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-19, 14:08:18 »
So saving up for Squire Line Albion and build my scabbard is the cheapest best sword combo I can get eh?

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/squire/sword-squire-knightly.htm

XII (labeled as 13th century knightly sword) is also appropriate for 14th century?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-19, 14:26:23 »

Yeah, the Albion squire line uses the same blades as their Next-Gen counterparts. They just don't do quite the same level of polish on the hilt fittings, but they're still excellent.

My question is-- Which part of the 14th century do you have in mind? This style of sword was still common in the early part of the century, but as with the armor, there was some evolution by the end of the century.

By the end of the 14th, more blade types open up (including diamond cross-sections), and some hilt styles change as well. Blades became narrower in profile with better thrusting tips, by the end of the century. More of the forward-swept crossguards start appearing by the 15th as well.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-19, 14:35:30 »
1350-1375 but Spanish persona so they were about 10-15 years behind the french styles

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-19, 14:36:46 »
One thing to note is that VA swords, unless otherwise specified, have hex nut pommel assemblies- great for customization purposes but not a historically authentic setup, so there's that to consider.

The Albion SL Knightly will be a better sword, especially for the price.  Also, VA scabbards tend to be on the thick side- however, for the value it is hard to beat.  It all depends on what you want in that sword- if price is of paramount importance, I'd go with the VA.  If historical authenticity is more important, the Albion SL is the best bang for the buck.  It'll be relevant til mid-14th I believe, altho the fittings are necessarily plain to keep costs down.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-19, 14:46:31 »
1350-1375 but Spanish persona so they were about 10-15 years behind the french styles

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah, like Sir Edward alluded to, the Squire Line Knightly along with it's big brother the Next Gen Knight, are really phased out among the upper class by your time period.  That thing's a cutter, and by this time you're looking for something more hybrid cut/thrust like a type XVI blade or a thruster like an XV.  That's assuming you want to be that accurate with your sword blade type.  But a Knight in 1375 probably doesn't have a type xii arming sword if he intends to fight anyone with any armor on.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum