Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (16/19) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-10, 14:28:18 ---Ed, that's the entire point of this discussion.  We don't know the numbers, so we can't make a real determination.  No one is saying that we should just go ahead and do it and throw safety to the wind.  The entire reason I brought this up is we can make an actual determination based on evidence instead of just saying "Oh it won't happen!" or conversely "Oh, it will definitely happen!"  Because we don't know either way.  Both are equally invalid arguments.  I don't like relying on invalid bogus logic, hence the discussion...

--- End quote ---

OK, because it sounded a lot like you were saying we should throw caution to the wind, because the numbers are unknown and/or small. :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-06-10, 14:42:00 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-10, 14:28:18 ---Ed, that's the entire point of this discussion.  We don't know the numbers, so we can't make a real determination.  No one is saying that we should just go ahead and do it and throw safety to the wind.  The entire reason I brought this up is we can make an actual determination based on evidence instead of just saying "Oh it won't happen!" or conversely "Oh, it will definitely happen!"  Because we don't know either way.  Both are equally invalid arguments.  I don't like relying on invalid bogus logic, hence the discussion...

--- End quote ---

OK, because it sounded a lot like you were saying we should throw caution to the wind, because the numbers are unknown and/or small. :)

--- End quote ---

I thought:

--- Quote --- How do we find out how dangerous it really is?  And we do know this could be mitigated with perf plate or slotted oculars.

So, right now for the added cost of steel weapons, and potentially upgraded armor with appropriate safety features (like perf plates or slotted oculars), it sounds like the physical evidence points to steel being safer than wood if you have the right stuff and are willing to spend the money.

--- End quote ---

covered the fact that I was not suggesting we throw caution to the wind and I was after real evidence and numbers.  You quoted it yourself...

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-06-10, 14:44:57 ---covered the fact that I was not suggesting we throw caution to the wind and I was after real evidence and numbers.  You quoted it yourself...

--- End quote ---

lol, yes, I did see that. But it seemed in contrast to the rest. :)  As long as we're clear.

Sir James A:
That makes perfect sense on the hafts. I was thinking bind work with a steel vs wood would give a serious advantage to the wood, and hadn't paused to think "wait, that's actually correct for period combat". I do want to throw in some spear / poleaxe / etc for next year when I can order one.

For me it's that wood seems safer - which I admit may well be only perception, since statistics on this kind of thing are pretty slim (can't imagine why :D). I'm comfortable fighting with wood swords, but not with steel. I enjoy it greatly, but not enough to feel like putting my life on the line every time I step on the field. As much as I enjoy doing the demos, if it became a gamble every time on "possibly die from a sword through the eye" or "live and go home to clean/repair gear"... I'm going to quit fighting. Then I'll delve deeper into living history or just "playtron" at various faires. My primary joy is simply being in harness; the combat is a happy bonus.

Yes, driving and other things can kill me, and statistically are more likely to, no question. Those are risks I knowingly take as compared to the alternative of quit my job and move to DC and take the metro everywhere (or become an unshaven hermit). Driving is one of those necessary things for me, whereas combat with steel swords is not so high on the list. :)

To the people doing live steel combat? Keep having fun, I love seeing the pictures!

Ian:
From Christian Cameron's YouTube Channel, video of one of the events from Torneo del Cigno Bianco.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version