Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

(1/19) > >>

Ian:
I've been thinking... in most of the harnessfechten I've seen elsewhere, the common weapon of choice is steel blunts, not wooden wasters.  When you think about it you guys are swinging sword-shaped baseball bats at each other.  Why the wood and not steel?  With a thrusting tip you could certainly mitigate the already low risk of eye slot penetration.  But the flex of a steel blade is a safety feature.  Imagine if the blossfechten guys went full speed with wooden wasters instead of steel... they'd really be hurting...

Oh and Sir James, that harness looks really good on you.  It looks like it fits/functions better than some of your later style harnesses.

Sir Edward:

That's exactly it-- the eye slots. We've checked our thrusting tips against the helmets, and in almost every case, the slots were too wide for the steel trainers.

An alternative of course, would be to use the synthetic trainers from Purple Heart. But they also vary in tip size, depending on which model/generation.

With my new Windrose fencing helm, it's not an issue since it uses a perforated visor, instead of slots.

Sir Brian:
**doh, ninja'd by Sir Edward!**  :)

We considered going to aluminum wasters with through bolted safety tips but since we unanimously love to use mordschlags, we all deemed that the steel cross guards could still easily penetrate a helm's ocular slots, not to mention the increased damage to the armor as we are getting some hefty dents with just the wooden wasters. We have revamped our rule set a little in that a combatant can only score one point with a mordschlag and all subsequent ones do not count for him. Also when one of the combatants reaches two points it becomes daggers only which the audience seemed to really enjoy.

Sir James A:
Thanks Sir Ian. Most or all of this harness was made to my measurements, whereas the late period harness from DoK and such wasn't and I bought it used from someone else and just tweaked what I could over time.

As was mentioned, eye slots was the main concern. Steel edges of blades also get chewed up by the armor, and would require more maintenance as well as higher cost of maintenance too. The synthetics flexed way too much and were pointless in the half-swording and bindwork. Wood wasters was a good compromise and perform well when they aren't striking bone directly. :)

Sir Martyn:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-06-04, 18:35:28 ---**doh, ninja'd by Sir Edward!**  :)

We considered going to aluminum wasters with through bolted safety tips but since we unanimously love to use mordschlags, we all deemed that the steel cross guards could still easily penetrate a helm's ocular slots, not to mention the increased damage to the armor as we are getting some hefty dents with just the wooden wasters. We have revamped our rule set a little in that a combatant can only score one point with a mordschlag and all subsequent ones do not count for him. Also when one of the combatants reaches two points it becomes daggers only which the audience seemed to really enjoy.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention Sir James  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version