"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Albion Ritter  (Read 16738 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Albion Ritter
« Reply #15 on: 2014-04-18, 22:41:29 »
The stats on that sword are near identical with those of Irae (my Arn sword) - it is a large sword, but well balanced and a joy to wield.  Definitely would shine from on-horseback; real nice aquisition, Shawn.  I'm not a fan of the cocked hat pommel but at that price, its a steal.

That is why I like the Arn sword better, The pommel ruins it for me.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #16 on: 2014-04-20, 19:21:12 »
That's a fantastic price for a great quality sword, congrats!

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2014-04-21, 00:36:44 »
After an hour of dry handling both swords outside I can conclude the Reeve is indeed heavier than the Ritter. Only slightly though, I like both swords though the Reeve has a thicker handle than the Ritter. I actually like how light they both are and both feel quite good in my hand. I actually like the Cocked Hat pommel type for some reason round ones never appeal much to me and look plain, only like them on type XIV swords. I also handled the Templar at DoK 2 and for some reason that one I didn't like how it handled, felt a little blade heavy to me, I am rather glad the swords I liked the most happen to be ones that I can handle the best too. Only real complaint I have is as I said the rough grip and the fact it's black, I would of went for brown myself but I did see 13th century period art with black gripped swords shoes scabbards and belts. Though black leather I DONT think was used in the earlier medieval period, for my period it should be fine as I know they used iron filings to make black dye for leather.

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: 2014-04-21, 18:00:30 »
After an hour of dry handling both swords outside I can conclude the Reeve is indeed heavier than the Ritter. Only slightly though, I like both swords though the Reeve has a thicker handle than the Ritter. I actually like how light they both are and both feel quite good in my hand. I actually like the Cocked Hat pommel type for some reason round ones never appeal much to me and look plain, only like them on type XIV swords. I also handled the Templar at DoK 2 and for some reason that one I didn't like how it handled, felt a little blade heavy to me, I am rather glad the swords I liked the most happen to be ones that I can handle the best too. Only real complaint I have is as I said the rough grip and the fact it's black, I would of went for brown myself but I did see 13th century period art with black gripped swords shoes scabbards and belts. Though black leather I DONT think was used in the earlier medieval period, for my period it should be fine as I know they used iron filings to make black dye for leather.

Black leather was certainly used in the earlier medieval period, though it wasn't as common, and a lot of reenactment/living history groups discourage its use.
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-04-22, 07:29:57 »
I checked it out in the light, the leather is not like a solid black. But it has a few brown bits in it. Apparently it's really dark brown almost black it's like it almost has brown bands with black dye too. Quite a cool effect honestly. Though black wont look bad with my teutonic outfit even if people discourage it.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2014-04-22, 13:40:05 »
I checked it out in the light, the leather is not like a solid black. But it has a few brown bits in it. Apparently it's really dark brown almost black it's like it almost has brown bands with black dye too. Quite a cool effect honestly. Though black wont look bad with my teutonic outfit even if people discourage it.

In a way, that's much better. Medieval black dyes were really a very dark brown. Modern dyes are too pure. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-04-23, 19:56:40 »

In a way, that's much better. Medieval black dyes were really a very dark brown. Modern dyes are too pure. :)

I like a sword grip black, But I like a belt or scabbard brown.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #22 on: 2014-04-24, 03:39:46 »
You got an amazing deal on that sword.  I was very tempted myself, but don't need another early sword.  I bought his bare Albion Poitiers blade instead.

Question on black dye.  Why is it discouraged?  Black dye is one of the easiest to make with period ingrediants.  I used to make it by the gallon.  With good veg tanned leather, it will make it as black as night.  However, with long exposure to the sun and air, it will begin to fade all the way out to chocolate brown.  There may be a misconception that it did not look black when new based on the look of period pieces.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

See my history and archeology blog at: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2014-04-24, 11:35:07 »
I'm inclined to agree that the "lack of black" in period is a modern reenactorism misconception. At least to the scale that people seem to think.  On textiles anyway, it was probably just cost prohibitive for most people.  I've not seen any of the English Sumptuary Laws address black specifically though.  They do address how expensive the bolt of fabric used for your clothes can be though.  It's all based on your annual income and holdings.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-24, 11:55:19 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2014-04-24, 12:58:08 »

Yes, I think there's a bit of a misconception out there. Nothing seems to indicate that it was banned or controlled in period, except that it may have been more expensive than most other colors, and culturally I think bright colors were more highly prized.

But it's also possible that there is a fear that if they allow black, then almost everyone will use it, when instead at an event there should be a much higher proportion of other colors.

I also suspect that the modern avoidance of it may have come about at a time when there was less information about it, so people tried to stick to what was more well known. Once a "rule" is there, it tends to persist.

So it could be a lot of different things.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #25 on: 2014-04-24, 13:48:23 »
Dyeing cloth in black was very expensive.  It required the combination of many colors to come out with a deep black.  That is why it tended to be limited to the more afluent clergy members.

Black leather dye, on the other hand, is just iron filings disolved in white vinegar.
My second novel, "The Archer's Son," available now on Amazon Kindle.  Find it at  http://amzn.to/Usavxf

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2014-04-24, 13:55:06 »
I vaguely recall the fabric dyes color being related to status, but in that the wealthy had their fabrics dyed first, and got a nice, deep color. As financial status went down, your fabric might be dyed in a third, fourth, fifth "run" from that dye bath... and so on. Each run of dye made the dye less potent, leaving the subdued / faded colors.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2014-04-28, 21:40:27 »
I'd say black leather was probably more common than black clothing. I saw many examples of black leather on the Maciejowski bible which I would think too many reenactors actually discourage it's use and I agree with Sir Ian on it probably being more common than most reenactors give it credit for. Though I think the black would be more of a super dark brown and not as "pure" as modern black dye.

Sir Humphrey

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • My Author's Website
« Reply #28 on: 2014-04-30, 16:43:04 »
I'dThough I think the black would be more of a super dark brown and not as "pure" as modern black dye.

Sir Ulrich, the period black dye I have made will turn good vegetable tanned leather as black as tar.  If it is kept oiled it will retain its blackness for a long time.  As it drys, or is exposed to the elements, it will begin to lighten to a deep chocolate brown.  The dye is the color or dark beer, and works on a chemical process on dry veg tanned leather to turn it black.  There is no pigment in the dye.  If the leather is dirty, or has been contaminated with geasy fingers, the dye does not "take" as well.

Sir Humphery