"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Albion Ritter  (Read 16754 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Albion Ritter
« on: 2014-04-15, 00:15:00 »
Well Joe Metz was selling an Albion Ritter for a good price, once I had the money I decided to buy this as I wanted this one Del Tin but it was 420 dollars, for 525 I got the Ritter instead, might as well of done that because Albion is top Quality. Honestly I like this sword a lot, it's much less wide than the Reeve but it's about the same weight. Maybe it's a bit heavier due to being longer. This thing is MASSIVE, obviously a horseman's sword.

It has a flat crossguard but I aint complaining cause I have seen examples like this with that and I prefer the flat crossguard to the round one. Makes it a bit more unique anyway. Only complaint I have is the grips a bit rough and abrasive maybe I need gloves to use this one unlike my Reeve. Still need a scabbard thinking a bit on what I want there. Maybe I will go to Ron Johnson again as his prices were fine and I really liked the fact it was lined with wool to keep it from rusting in storage. Plan to use this with my Teutonic outfit and my Reeve with my heraldic outfit.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Albion Ritter
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-15, 00:23:00 »
Nice acquisition!  Congrats!
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-15, 02:14:58 »
What a great price for a high quality weapon!

I’ve never seen this particular piece in person and thus never realized its massive presence.  You’re “sword in hand” photograph really helps put it all into perspective.   8)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-15, 02:18:48 »
That's the same price he sold his Senlac to me for. It's quite opportunistic as Albions rarely hit the market, and even more rarely for that low a price.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-15, 03:16:30 »
That blade is enormous. A true Type XI example indeed!

Its stats say it's surprisingly light despite its rather massive-looking blade. (2.57 pounds)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-15, 03:18:28 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-15, 08:50:59 »
The more I handle it the more I get used to the grip so that problems pretty much gone. My guess is the handles were dry and the oils in my hand sorta makes the leather smoother or something, or it's just getting used to the feel. The blade is quite massive and I swung it around a bit outside with dry handling and it's quite imposing, feels a bit more of a heavy hitter than the Reeve does, I could easily use a weapon like this on horseback. My guess would be the Reeve is a foot soldier's sword cause it's about the same length as a viking sword. There was a difference between foot solder's swords and horseman's swords. I do like the flat guard more than I do the round one for some reason cause it has a bit of a beefier look. If it looked like the Templar's guard with the Ritter's pommel that would pretty much be the perfect sword for me at this moment, though I aint complaining I just think a beefy crossguard would make it a bit more imposing like the St Maurice Albion sword, which it's almost the same size as that one, off by about an inch, though the St Maurice one has a thicker wider blade like the Reeve.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-15, 13:18:13 »
Only complaint I have is the grips a bit rough and abrasive maybe I need gloves to use this one unlike my Reeve.

You might find that using gloves works really well anyway. For those of us that do a lot of swordsmanship, just from the safety perspective, we're usually wearing gloves, and so for a consistent feel, it's useful to still wear them even when doing test-cutting and the like. So I've found that the smoothness or roughness of the grip really isn't that big of a deal, as long as it isn't so slippery that a leather glove has problems with gripping it (which I would think to be pretty rare).

though I aint complaining I just think a beefy crossguard would make it a bit more imposing like the St Maurice Albion sword, which it's almost the same size as that one, off by about an inch, though the St Maurice one has a thicker wider blade like the Reeve.

The St. Maurice is also extremely blade heavy. Since it's based on a specific museum piece, they replicated the weight and feel pretty precisely, and that one feels more axe-like. Albion usually tries to capture the "best" handling characteristics of each class of swords, but the originals fell into a full spectrum. The St. Maurice just happens to have a heavier feel. (It's still just under 3 pounds, but the center of gravity is at the 9" mark)
« Last Edit: 2014-04-15, 13:19:18 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-15, 13:26:50 »
Man I want a nice sword...must buy armor...must build soft kit...weapons come later....

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-15, 15:01:22 »
Wonderful looking sword.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-15, 15:23:38 »
I was talking to Dr Metz about it and said I would take it if you passed on it. Congrats!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-15, 15:34:34 »
Dang, that thing is huge! :o Congrats on the acquisition.
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-15, 23:06:30 »
Shawn, here's an in-stock ready to go scabbard for a Ritter on todstuff.  Leo Todeschini, in my opinion, makes some of the finest medieval scabbards on the planet.  He really nails the medieval aesthetic, and is known for historical accuracy.

It's #21 in the list.

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/in-stock/tods-in-stock.htm
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2014-04-16, 02:56:26 »
It's actually lighter than my Reeve I just checked the weight. This thing is well balanced though it actually feels lighter than the Reeve. I probably wouldnt be able to handle that St Maurice one honestly cause 9 inches in POB sounds like it would be tricky to use glad I tend to like the ones that are well balanced like the Reeve and Ritter. I pretty much am satisfied with the amount of Albions I have now as the pommel types I prefer tend to be more rarely made. Still think this sword would look even cooler with the Albion Templar's crossguard though.
That scabbard looks nice I wish I had the money in my account to pay for it right away I would assume it adds up to 680 from what I gather I dont have much left in my paypal balance. May have to ask my parents to loan me some though I dont know if the belt would fit me cause I got a 29 inch waist 32 with all my padding and maille on. Though new holes can always be punched. May just email him about it as it isnt a bright color and looks rather aged from the small pic I saw with the brown and darker red. Hopefully those colors are acceptable for a Teutonic impression.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #13 on: 2014-04-16, 11:37:42 »
h8 u lol niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2014-04-16, 14:43:37 »
The stats on that sword are near identical with those of Irae (my Arn sword) - it is a large sword, but well balanced and a joy to wield.  Definitely would shine from on-horseback; real nice aquisition, Shawn.  I'm not a fan of the cocked hat pommel but at that price, its a steal.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”