"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Franklin school stabbing. Are some people just born Evil?  (Read 11824 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Recently in franklin regional highschool p.a. A boy stabbed 24 people before classes started. He has a criminal record of 4 attempted homicides, carrying a weapon on school grounds and 21 accounts of aggravated assault.
His motives are unknown, he has been arrested and charged as an adult. He is 16.
Here is the link for the full story m.wtae.com/news/stabbing-at-franklin-regional-high-school-in-murrysville/25391318

Miraculously none of the victims have died, although do have life threatening injuries.
What causes such Evil deeds?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Franklin school stabbing. Are some people just born Evil?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-10, 03:02:47 »
Sir Nate,

I would hazard a guess that the question will never be fully answered to the general public.

My speculation is that many events and factors spread over many years are required to trigger such a tragedy. 

Ultimately, only two will ever really know the full answer; the suspect and his Maker.  This statement may even be optimistic if the suspect truly has a mental defect.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families this night.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-10, 14:43:26 »
There is, and likely always will be, evil in the world. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-10, 17:56:06 »
Yes and for evil to advance requires that good men do nothing.  I've been following this in the news somewhat...it always interests me how people make the leap from fantasizing to actually doing it.  It is said that he is mentally disturbed, which means he's probably not Evil Incarnate, though his actions say otherwise.  My prayers are with the victims and their families as well as the family of this kid.  We should pray for him too...but I'm not in a forgiving mood (I rarely am).
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-10, 20:28:59 »
Good and evil, neither one can truly live without the other. Both will always exist. Sometimes the greatest things that keep the evil at bay are the little acts of kindness. Be chivalrous always my brothers and always strike evil at it routs and prevent it from growing into a monstrous tree that will only lay more seeds.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-13, 00:53:23 »
Sirs,

I have to agree the short and tragic answer is yes there are evil people in the world.
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-13, 02:35:41 »
Sirs,

I have to agree the short and tragic answer is yes there are evil people in the world.

And that's why there are people like us.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-14, 01:57:05 »
Sirs,

And that's why there are people like us.

Except we are bound to our laws. I wonder how other country's would respond if medieval vigilantes started guarding towns, and could stop mad men on sight.
We would still be equipped with crossbows.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-14, 17:19:31 »
Not my intent to promote vigilantly behavior. I merely meant it's the honorable who balance out the evil.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-14, 17:26:37 »
We could have our own Dark Knight. I guess his heraldry would have to be Or, a bat displayed Sable.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-14, 17:27:35 by Baron de Magnan »
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-14, 18:24:36 »
We could have our own Dark Knight. I guess his heraldry would have to be Or, a bat displayed Sable.

I feel like this is a "day of wrong" idea for MD Renn Fest! Maybe next year when I have my black armor.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-15, 12:46:08 »

I feel like this is a "day of wrong" idea for MD Renn Fest! Maybe next year when I have my black armor.

Indeed!

*** LIGHT BULB ***   :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-04-21, 17:22:41 »
Yes there is Evil, just look at my former Uncle-in-law, but I read this case and I see a very complex, not simple, situation.

As with so many things in life, the truth depends greatly on your own point of view.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Master Obi Wan
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-04-22, 00:40:37 »
Yes there is Evil, just look at my former Uncle-in-law, but I read this case and I see a very complex, not simple, situation.

As with so many things in life, the truth depends greatly on your own point of view.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Master Obi Wan

Wisely spoken
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-11, 00:33:58 »
This is another question I have often pondered. What is evil? As a full time GM of role playing games I often must portray good and evil convincingly to the players, and in a game like D&D or Pathfinder the difference makes a big difference. But I often find in writing complex stories for the players to participate in, that the definition of "evil" depends on the perceptions of the player. I can demonstrate by asking the age old D&D question "So, what do you do with the baby orcs?" If you kill them while they are helpless babies, is that evil? If you spare them and they grow up to attack innocent people, does that justify killing the next bunch of baby orcs? The same kind of thinking can be applied to real life. But I confess this is merely academic, because the reality of life is much more black and white than art would have us believe.

One thing I can say from personal experience is that some human beings simply do not feel anything resembling common decency and humanity. Perhaps that, in it's fullness, is really the definition of evil.

I have always hated that line. One should be extremely suspicious of a ghost telling one that everything he knows to be true is a lie, and almost in the same breath who one's greatest enemy really is. The truth, my dear Obi-Wan, is not quite so flexible!

Scott