Main > The Round Table

She's a witch! Burn her!!!

(1/6) > >>

Mike W.:
I've always found documents like these both hilarious and frightening. Hilarious just in what these people say about women (look at Chapter VI) but yet frightening that they actually thought this way and acted on it.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/mm/

Sir Rodney:
Yikes!

Aiden of Oreland:
I believe William Pen was a judge in America and a witch case was brought to him. They accused her of flying a broom stick. He responded "there is no law against riding a broom stick at night" Good old Pen, keeping that nonsense out of PA, wish Salem could say the same :P

Stanislaw:
Ah, the dreaded Malleus Maleficarum! Unfortunately one of the most horrible propaganda pieces of the Middle Ages. :( I've studied it a bit in my Medieval Heresy and Witchcraft course at my college.

It's quite interesting to note that witchcraft was not really noted as heresy until around the century of this manuscript, nor was it actually considered a crime (most of the time - certain sorts of "darker" sorcery/witchcraft were still looked down upon). "Magical" knowledge was quite a common thing back in the day, and even inquisitors possessed such knowledge and sometimes even practiced it.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Stanislaw on 2014-03-23, 04:49:00 ---Ah, the dreaded Malleus Maleficarum! Unfortunately one of the most horrible propaganda pieces of the Middle Ages. :( I've studied it a bit in my Medieval Heresy and Witchcraft course at my college.

--- End quote ---

Your college is SO much cooler than mine was

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version