Main > The Round Table

She's a witch! Burn her!!!

<< < (6/6)

Sir Rodney:
ANY four year degree is better than none.  Many of you know I had a lengthy period of unemployment and underemployment in the not too distant past.  Even landing an interview in my field of property / facility management was nearly impossible as I don’t have a four degree in anything.

My sobering facts:
14 years of experience managing 1.5 million square feet of properties
Left company on good terms
Professional references aplenty
NO 4 year degree
300 job applications both on-line and in person
15 months unemployed / underemployed
5 interviews
1 job offer

Thank goodness that job offer was the job of my dreams.  So as to not be caught in that position ever again, I’m currently completing a professional certification through the University of Minnesota and completing a second professional certification through our state industry trade organization.  Once those are complete (mid 2015), I’ll complete the 1.5 years left of my undergraduate degree.

Mike W.:
Congrats on that!! I've always had the deepest respect for people who push themselves to go back to school. Somehow they manage to get a degree while working and taking care of a family. If I had to do that while studying history it would have been a lot harder.

Don Jorge:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2014-03-28, 04:20:14 ---ANY four year degree is better than none.  Many of you know I had a lengthy period of unemployment and underemployment in the not too distant past.  Even landing an interview in my field of property / facility management was nearly impossible as I don’t have a four degree in anything.

My sobering facts:
14 years of experience managing 1.5 million square feet of properties
Left company on good terms
Professional references aplenty
NO 4 year degree
300 job applications both on-line and in person
15 months unemployed / underemployed
5 interviews
1 job offer

Thank goodness that job offer was the job of my dreams.  So as to not be caught in that position ever again, I’m currently completing a professional certification through the University of Minnesota and completing a second professional certification through our state industry trade organization.  Once those are complete (mid 2015), I’ll complete the 1.5 years left of my undergraduate degree.

--- End quote ---

Aye, my wife is in the same boat. At 18 years old she took a job in the non profit sector and worked abroad in England for 8 years doing youth ministry and community organizing/event planning. She got a job at an IT firm doing Marketing for 2 years here in Raleigh when she got back and when they merged with another company became redundant. She is having the hardest time even getting interviews because she doesn't have a degree!

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-03-27, 20:02:07 ---Is it sad that I'm part of a generation that should know everything about electronics and I can hardly figure out how to use a computer, save turning on and using the internet. In fact I even had trouble trying to run WoW...

--- End quote ---

There's some truth to that. As computers get easier to use, there's less of a need to learn their inner workings in order to use one (and the inner workings get more and more complicated over time). I think it's getting harder to just pick up a book and learn to program.

Sir Nate:
Must have still been a valid document during the salem witch trials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version